Canon Pentaprisms

  • From: Carl Socolow <csocolow@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 22:10:03 -0500

I have both. I also have a D60 which I'm in the process of selling. I think the viewfinder of the 10D is smoother than that of the 20D and perhaps a little easier in low light. However, the autofocus speed of the 20D is faster than that of the 10D. The files are cleaner as well as larger. The buffer is bigger and the camera has a faster frame/second rate. I think the 10D is a little more weatherproof and I tend to use it more when in adverse conditions. Also, the 20D will give me a choice of embedded jpegs along with the Raw files. I also think the processing algorithm of the 20D gives a cleaner file. And I can choose, in camera, whether to work in color or b&w. That being said, for my personal work, as opposed to my work work, I prefer my Leicas. They're just more intuitive when working fast; also less obtrusive. And easier to keep with me at all times (which I do). Plus, I know I have an analog picture legacy without having to worry about whatever the next storage media will be and whether I have to transfer my files to make sure they don't degrade or are unreadable. Chacun à son goût.

-- Carl Socolow

http://www.socphoto.com/herethere/
http://www.leica-gallery.net/socolowpersonal/index.html

Dave Saalsaa wrote:

Maybe we could hear from some owners of both the 10D and 20D to have them tell use what they thing about the relative brightness and ease of focusing of the two cameras in question.

Dave
----- Original Message ----- From: "Karen Nakamura" <mail@xxxxxxxx>
To: <leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>>

Huh? All the reviews in Japan say the viewfinder is darker and more contrasty than the 10D which helps with manual focus lenses. But the Japanese site does say it uses a pentaprism:

http://cweb.canon.jp/camera/eosd/20d/system.html

Karen