Re: Black-crowned Night Heron

  • From: Jeffery Smith <jls@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Mar 2007 13:12:21 -0500

We get a lot of yellow crowned night herons around here. In the summer, about 12 of them would congregate around our lagoons. Since Katrina, they have been few and far between.

Jeffery

At 02:08 PM 3/27/2007, you wrote:
No wonder they eat ducklings, their offspring are not as good looking!

I've only seen one around here, mostly in the evening.

Chris

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mark Bohrer" Subject: Re: Black-crowned Night Heron

Chris:
You'll see night herons out in daytime in spring, when they're feeding nestlings. They regurgitate food for their altricial young:
http://tinyurl.com/72qwl
The youngsters look like this:
http://tinyurl.com/djalp
Adults may have to 'tell' nestlings to back off when the food's gone:
http://tinyurl.com/fw4l9
All these pictures are from the Palo Alto Baylands heronry by the duck pond. As Doug states, these guys are very approachable.
Mark Bohrer
Wildlife Photography on the Urban Edge
www.mountain-and-desert.com