Re: Beware of using Fedex

  • From: Jimmy Wong <jwmailbin@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 31 Mar 2004 15:21:25 -0800 (PST)

My understanding with Fedex is that even if you buy insurance for the
replacement amount.  If lost, they'll only pay up to their limit which
apparently is $100.  In other words, if you're shipping an M7 back to NJ for
service and purchase insurance for $2000; if the shipment is lost, all you'll
get from Fedex is $100.

This is all anecdotal as I've not personally experienced this nor do I know
anyone personally that experienced such a loss from Fedex.  I got this info
from Bill Maxwell who I was sending my Rolleiflex to for service.  He advised
me to not use Fedex or UPS but to use USPS and purchase adequate insurance.  He
explained that he had a customer that experienced just such a loss despite
purchasing enough insurance to cover the value of the camera.

At first I found this difficult to believe but upon further research on web I
found the link below who seems to confirm what Bill said.

     http://consumeraffairs.com/delivery/fedex_ground_insurance.html

--- Jeffery Smith <jls@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> They will only pay the *shipper* the insurance money (and he already has my
> money from the sale). Now he will have $3200 for that Leica M6. UPS said
> "the store will probably just send you a new one". I told them it wasn't a
> store, but an ebay purchase. They said "    oh    ".
>
> I am trusting that the man who sold me the camera will pay me the insurance
> money. Of course, UPS will want to wait a looooong time just to make sure
> it doesn't show up somewhere. So, do I buy another one, hoping that it
> doesn't show up? Or am I just out $1600 for a few months until they are
> sure it won't show up? My take on it is that UPS will pay me $100 for my
> inconvenience, but pay the $1600 to the seller. Now, that's inconvenient.
>
> At 04:55 PM 3/31/2004, you wrote:
> >I don't understand this. When shipping packages do you not declare a
> >value and pay extra for insurance? The usual insurance is  $ 100 but one
> >can buy extra insurance.
> >
> >What am I missing?
> >
> >Regards,
> >Akhil
> >

> >On Wed, 31 Mar 2004, Jimmy Wong wrote:
> >
> > > Do --NOT-- use Fedex to ship used cameras valued over $100.
> > >
> > > This was pointed out to me by Bill Maxwell, the Rollei screen and
> > repair guy.
> > > He learned of this when one of his customers lost a Rolleifex valued at
> > over
> > > $1000, only to be reimbursed for $100.  He also states the UPS has
> similar
> > > limitations.  He says the ONLY shipper that will pay full amount of
> > insurance
> > > is USPS.
> > >

> > > http://consumeraffairs.com/delivery/fedex_ground_insurance.html

the Subject field OR by logging in to the Web interface.