Re: A Weight Reduction Plan....

  • From: Mark Bohrer <lurchl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 11 Mar 2007 12:34:17 -0700

David:
Very nice repackaging job on a bulky item. You could go into business selling these with a slightly cleaner version, like Tom Abrahamsson and his Rapidwinders. Just have interested customers send you their original chargers, and send back a shrunk one - for a fee, of course!

Your shot of the innards shows a PC board with somewhat archaic through-hole construction. Leica probably doesn't have enough demand for a surface-mount board with a switching power supply.

Was there any special bonding of the metal heat sink fin to the original case? If there was, you run a minor risk of overheating the load transistor in your new case. Also, there may be a thermal airflow problem with your cooling holes on your new case. If its top feels warm to the touch in use, you might consider drilling some holes there to enhance heat flow out.

Just a few thoughts from a former engineer... ;)

Mark

Mark Bohrer
Wildlife Photography on the Urban Edge
www.mountain-and-desert.com

At 11:01 AM 3/11/2007, you wrote:

Last August, the Brits foiled a plot to put explosives on some 14 planes. This resulted in an immediate and total ban on cabin luggage for a few weeks.

They relaxed the rules, ever so slightly, just 72 hours prior to our departing for Wetzlar/Solms, via London. The "new" cabin baggage limits were very small, and it was a real challenge to get the R8+DMR, a 21/4, 50/2 and 80~200/4 Vario into an 11x14x6" (28x35x15cm) case. After all, I also needed the DMR's charger, an Image bank with it's charger and assorted cards,filters and other accessories! It was done, but packed for space, certainly not convenience.

I resolved to make what I could, lighter and more compact. The first target was the DMR's charger, which is oversized for the purpose.

I have successfully put it on a diet... the revised charger employs the same circuitry as the original, repackaged in a box that is 55% smaller, 28% lighter and considerably more convenient.

Photos of my newly trimmed down DMR charger are at: http://www3.telus.net/~telyt/charger.htm

I apologize for the artifacts in some of the shots... they were downsized using a quick and dirty program which works very will for small size changes, but not for large ones.

Cheers!
---

David Young,
Logan Lake, CANADA