Re: 50/2.8 Elmars...

  • From: Michael Levy <fotoyvel@xxxxxxx>
  • To: LEG <leica@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 11:21:39 -0500

Yes the newer ones are "sharper," ( perhaps better resolution or contrast-- but the images are crisper, anyway). They probably have better glare control, too, due to different coatings and glass and generally perform as well as Summicrons at smaller f/stops -- according to everything I've read.

I'm sure this forum will disagree, but I recall that Irwin Puts (among others) had good things to say about this modern iteration of the lens.

I'd buy one but am holding off until I see what the new digital "M" turns out to be like.

Mike