[leasbirds] Re: Spring Migration and Paranoia

  • From: "Carol Lee" <spwrc@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 6 Apr 2014 15:02:08 -0500

Cameron,

I really enjoyed your post. The line: "However, the officers encouraged me
not to provoke people by birding neighborhoods" made me laugh out loud.
Provoke! Ha!

It reminded me of another "city official" I met in 1988. He came out to the
Wildlife Center when we were just getting started to "inspect." His first
question:

"Were we going to raise lions and tigers?"  NO.  "Then what were we planning
to do out there?"

I replied we'd be raising and releasing wild songbirds.

In all seriousness he looked at me, clearly puzzled, and said, "You wouldn't
want that to get around!"

My reply: "Excuse me, but who doesn't enjoy wild songbirds in their yards?"

At that point I think he realized his stupidity (but maybe not J ).

Now in our 26th year, I'm happy to say we're still raising and releasing
wild songbirds!

Carol Lee

spwrc.org