[leasbirds] Gray Flycatcher at Purina Mountain Bike Trail in Lubbock 4/10

  • From: Steve Collins <steve.collins@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2014 18:38:28 -0500

This afternoon the TTU Ornithology class got to see a Gray Flycatcher at the Purina Mountain Bike Trail in Lubbock. It was located at the north end of the forested part of this trail. The precise coordinates are:

33.59398,-101.822165

It provided great extended looks and dutifully wagged its tail the entire time. Today we also had the first Wilson's Warbler I've seen this year. Like last year, this trail is shaping up to be great for sparrows. On Monday, Cameron Carver, Caleb Gordon and I scoped out the trail to see what was around for the upcoming Ornithology class. We had:
Say's Phoebe  5
Ash-throated Flycatcher  2
American Crow  1
House Wren  1
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  2
Orange-crowned Warbler  1
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Myrtle)  2
Yellow-rumped Warbler (Audubon's)  2
Cassin's Sparrow  1
Chipping Sparrow  30
Brewer's Sparrow  4
Vesper Sparrow  45  Conservatively low count.
Lark Bunting  1
Savannah Sparrow  5
Grasshopper Sparrow  4
Song Sparrow  1
White-crowned Sparrow (Gambel's)  20

Thankfully we were able to relocate some of these birds for the students this week. This afternoon the Cassin's Sparrows were actually singing.

Cheers,
Steve Collins
Lubbock, TX