[leasbirds] Re: Flycatcher ID

  • From: Hotmail <len_hovey@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Aug 2022 23:32:08 -0500

Thank you all again for the great conversation about this mystery flycatcher. I’ve learned so much from the amazing wealth of knowledge you all have! I ordered a copy of the Kaufman book on Jennifer’s recommendation.
My dad has an incredible full set of leather bound Peterson’s Field Guides and Kaufman’s Advanced Birding is a classic in the series with a great section on these flycatchers.
I’m thrilled he put out a radically expanded new edition.
-Len

On Aug 15, 2022, at 9:31 PM, Jennifer Miller <foundnatureblog@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 It is a fun puzzle! Even with experience, flycatchers can still be frustrating because some just can’t be identified by appearance but I love the challenge! I’m glad that you seem to, too, Joe!
Yes, primarily projection is only one of the ID traits to consider for a flycatcher but it is also one of the most important. It is one of the first things, if not the first thing, you should look at on a flycatcher. Once you see the primary projection (ideally from a couple of angles or over a few minutes as the bird moves), you can begin to narrow down the possibilities. In the end, that’s what birding is: gathering enough information to start eliminating other birds until you (hopefully) end up with only one. When I found the Sanderling a few weeks ago, I went though a list in my head considering ANY other bird that it could be and used field marks as I watched it to eliminate each of those birds until the only logical conclusion was a Sanderling. Same goes for flycatchers, you have to build a case and if the ID marks start to go against your case then you have to start the process of elimination over again. But back to primary projections :) This is a much better pic to get an idea of the primary projection than the first pic because the wing looks at rest. I would call this a short primary projection. You are right, though, all three of the species you are considering have similar primary projections so this field mark doesn’t help us much in differentiating the three. Determining a flycatcher’s primary projection takes experience. At one time I too considered a primary projection like this to be significant; until I started paying attention to other flycatchers’ primary projections. My advice is to really pay attention the next time you find a wood-pewee. Theirs are so long that everything else is an “in relation” comparison for me. And you have to see each species multiple times, once you know the ID, while paying attention to the primary projection to really begin to build a reference in your head. The easiest is to start with less confusing species to build your reference; like Olive-sided and wood-pewees. Wood-pewees’ projections are so long they become easier to ID. Does it have a plain face and a really long primary projection? Wood-pewee! Each season I have to refresh that reference. That goes for all the difficult families: projections in flycatchers, bill and body lengths in shorebirds, mask patterns in warblers, etc.
In my experience, Willow flycatchers have more muted/less bright wingbars and lined tertials. That’s part of what makes me lean towards a Least - theirs are generally bright. I don’t know whether I’m correct about your bird though. Look at some pictures of the two from a source that should have them ID’d correctly and see what you think. Note: even eBird has some misidentified pictures running around so don’t take any pic that looks wrong at face value.

This flycatcher might still be unidentifiable with the information that we have but you’re on the right path, Joe!
Jennifer
Jennifer MillerLubbock, TX
(o,o) /)_)  " "Email: foundnatureblog@xxxxxxxxx
Blog: https://foundnature.weebly.com/
On Aug 15, 2022, at 8:02 PM, Heppert, Joseph A. <jheppert@xxxxxx> wrote:

 Jennifer,
So, reading through the Kaufman's material, it looks as if primary extensions can be an indication of species...and some of the lower quality photos of this bird from the back show a significant primary extension.
However, it turns out that Least, Alder and Willow all exhibit some level of primary extension. So, we still have a Flycatcher, but I am not sure this helps distinguish between the three options.
Fun puzzle! Thanks for the reference material.

Joe