[leasbirds] Floyd and Briscoe Counties

  • From: Andrew Kasner <kasnera@xxxxxxx>
  • To: "'leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx'" <leasbirds@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Apr 2014 13:42:29 +0000

Got out for a little birding Saturday with Niler Pyeatt in Floyd and Briscoe
Counties.  The winds made things difficult but still saw a few highlights:

Hundreds of Cliff Swallows at the Los Lingos Creek crossing just south of
Quitaque
Peregrine Falcon over the canyons at Caprock Canyons State Park
Rock Wren and Canyon Wren in the canyons
Bewick's Wren, Bell's Vireo and Green Heron at Lake Theo-CCSP
Stopped by the Lockney Wastewater Treatment Ponds on the way home and got an
amazing treat - the middle pond was literally dotted from end to end with
Wilson's Phalarope.  I made a quick count of 250 but certainly missed some as
they bobbed behind waves.  Mostly adults but a handful of 1st year birds.  I've
never seen that many phalaropes in one place - pretty cool!
There is also a huge (tire-sized) snapping turtle there - must be a released
one.  I haven't seen any like that since living in East Texas!
Andy

Andrew C. Kasner, Ph.D.
Managing Editor, Texas Journal of Science
Associate Editor, American Midland Naturalist
Associate Professor of Biology
Wayland Baptist University
1900 West 7th Street, CMB 1285
Plainview, TX 79072