[LCT] Re: Semantic Waves and Teaching Computing Unplugged WAS Re: Re: Sharing news

  • From: Paul Curzon <p.curzon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lct@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lct@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Jul 2022 18:22:00 +0100

More similar wavy news

Last Friday I gave a similar though shorter online talk to my previous one, this time to over 100 computing teachers in India as a keynote at the CSpathshala 4th Conference on Computational Thinking in Schools (CTiS2022) on practical-use-of-semantic-waves wrt unplugged teaching.
https://event.india.acm.org/CTiS/

Focus again on both unplugged as a good way to teach computing concepts and how drawing rough semantic profiles then asking simple questions can improve unplugged computing activities (as well as plan of a learning session in general) so how to make unplugged work

 - is it a wave shape and where might it be improved
 - how high and low does it go
 - who is doing the unpacking and repacking - teacher or student
 - are there waves within waves (and/or waves following waves)

Paul

On 28/06/2022 22:24, Paul Curzon wrote:

Sharing my wave-based news...

Today I gave a practical-use-of-semantic-waves talk to Digital Schoolhouse lead teachers in London UKIE headquarters about how semantic waves used in a simple course-grained way gives a great way to ensure play-based "unplugged" computing activities are not just play but do teach concepts.

We made a giant robot face out of Blue Peter Tech (card, tubes, sticky backed plastic and teachers) that reacts to the audience singing happy birthday, saying Boo, making grisly sounds (exploring simple programming  and computational thinking concepts)

Did magic tricks that everyone can do despite not knowing how. (explaining what an algorithm is)

And had teachers role played fragments of programs (to understand the semantics of variables and assignment)

We looked at how quickly drawn rough wave patterns could be tweaked to make the activities better asking
- is it a wave shape and where might it be improved
- how high and low does it go
- who is doing the unpacking and repacking - teacher or student
- are there waves within waves

(Based on ideas developed with Jane Waite, Karl Maton and Jim Donohue)

Paul