[LandXML] The future of LandXML.org proposal and feedback request

  • From: "Nathan Crews" <nathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <landxml@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Dec 2013 11:37:05 -0800

Over the past 13 years LandXML has been adopted by many organizations, by
end users, government agencies and private ISVs around the wolrd, as a
practical way to exchange data for a variety of purposes. While LandXML.org
was formed and started in the United States, it is more broadly adopted
internationally than in the US.

Currently, there is high interest in further adoption, cross standards
collaboration and continued schema development indicated by the web site
statistics and emails received. Ladd Nelson of Carlson Software has
generously revamped the web site and I have fixed the LandXML file validator
and am now producing new web applications like the FAA NGS to LandXML and
LandXML to GML translator.

LandXML started as a loosely formed, grassroots organization, and has since
become an important industry standard. As such it needs a more formal
organization behind it. As many of you know for the first 10 years Autodesk
was the sole financial sponsor and I the primary contributor, but we had
many valuable contributions from many in the industry. Contributions are
usually in the form of collaboration, like donated time, where sponsorship
is financial support of all the activities.

Standards require resources for stabilization and continued development and
many of you have offered to do so in the past. I have a proposed plan
influenced by a similar XML standard, gbXML.org  to insure LandXML.org
presence, further schema evolution and industry cross standards
collaboration continues.

Specifically:

1.       Incorporate LandXML.org. (internationally?)

2.       If US based, apply for non-profit 501c status.

3.       Create bylaws for sponsorship levels, roles and benefits.

a.       Sponsorship levels from $1,000 US to $15,000 US annually.

4.       Create a balanced 10 member board of directors from sponsoring
government and ISV sponsors.

5.       For sponsoring ISVs, a new rotating panel on the home page will
highlight current ISV software products as they related to LandXML data
support.

6.       Add a new rotating panel for board of director organization logos
on the home page.

7.       Continue to allow for open, non-sponsor feedback and contributions
at no cost.

Can you please indicate if your organization would be willing to contribute
and/or sponsor LandXML.org activities and at what level of involvement?

Best Regards,

Nathan Crews

www.LandXML.org