[ktvt] Fw: [skypeenglish] Skype script update, version 298, at long last!

  • From: "Vy Pham" <missyguide@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ktvt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 31 Aug 2006 10:04:42 -0400

Xin moi moi nguoi vo day de download phan jaws script moi danh cho skype:
http://www.dlee.org/jfw-skr298.zip
Va duoi day la phan gioi thieu cua ong Dug Lee, tac gia cua phan script nay.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Doug Lee" <dgl@xxxxxxxx> To: <skypeEnglish@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> Cc: "Chris Nestrud" <ccn@xxxxxxxxx> Sent: Wednesday, August 30, 2006 8:17 PM Subject: [skypeenglish] Skype script update, version 298, at long last!

Finally, there is activity on the JAWS scripts for Skype again! More accurately, the behind-the-scenes activity that's been going on for months is finally surfacing for public scrutiny. In the background, I have gone all the way from version 275 to version 298. There just hasn't been an easy way to manage releases along the way.

And there still isn't, so the scripts I am about to describe are available, at least for now, from the following link, NOT from the normal place:

http://www.dlee.org/jfw-skr298.zip

I hope to coordinate a better solution with Chris at some point, but so far I have not managed to do this.

Here's what's been going on. I will first describe the fixes, then the new features. There is a fair amount of information here. Finally, I will give details on one of the more interesting new features, which is a virtual-view profile on a triple SayLine. I call this the VCard feature, for reasons which will become clearer near the bottom of this message.

Fixes:

JAWSKey+Q will now say the scripts are version 298 or later. For once, at least for now, this message is actually up to date. :-)

By popular demand, SkypeWatch will no longer say "Skype" in front of everything. This should now be as it once was.

Enter, Tab, and Shift+Tab should work in JAWS virtual buffers now, such as for JAWSKey+W and JAWSKey+H help screens.

The "Something got past the MSAA code" message should no longer speak in the Search Results list, and that list should read properly now.

Contact names should read properly in the Received Contacts dialog.

Using Ctrl+Tab to switch among chat windows should now work even when the window being switched to is minimized. Before, this would cause "No window is active" messages from time to time.

AutoActions should now work under Skype 2.5 and 2.6 just as under 2.0, for those that use this feature.

Ctrl+Shift+I, for technical call information, should work more often under Skype 2.5 and 2.6. You may have to do a screen refresh (JAWSKey+Escape) and/or move the JAWS cursor over a contact's name to get this to work in conferences sometimes.

Ctrl+Tab and Ctrl+Shift+Tab will switch out of the Skype Live tab introduced in Skype 2.6, even though Skype itself does not support this.

New Features:

Skype contact grouping is finally accessible to users of Skype 2.5 and up! The "Create contact group" and "Select contact groups to display" buttons from the Skype 2.5+ contact window now appear for use in the JAWSKey+F8 list. Note that they do not appear in that list under Skype
2.0 even though they are present. This is by design, because in Skype
2.0 there is no way to populate a new group without dragging contacts with the mouse. Under Skype 2.5 or newer, use "Create contact group" to create a group, "Select groups to display" to choose which groups to show, Ctrl+PageUp/Down and Ctrl+Home/End to move among displayed groups, and Ctrl+C/V to copy and paste contacts into a group. To remove a group, find its name at the top with the JAWS cursor (you may have to click "Groups" once to expand the group list), then right-click the group and choose Remove Group. Note that work continues on making contact grouping features accessible without JAWS or JAWS scripts; in fact, I am releasing this enhancement as a stop gap, not a permanent solution.

Conference tabs are also more accessible under Skype 2.5 and later, thanks to a technique discovered by John Greer: Arrowing up and down through the participants in a conference should now cause JAWS to announce the contact names. This facilitates acting on individual contacts, such as for starting chats, removing participants, and getting specific participant profiles. Home and End work too, to go to the first and last participant, respectively. Unfortunately, all this will not work under Skype 2.0 because the conference tab is very different in that version.

The SayLine command behavior in the contact list has changed. A single press will read what up/downArrows read, as always was the case. A double press will spell the contact's name, which is more consistent with what a double SayLine is meant to do. A triple press will, as has been true for a while, bring up a virtual view of contact information. This view may contain much more information than before though--pretty much an entire profile for the contact, including an indication as to whether the contact's picture is available. I will give details about that feature at the end of this message, for the technically curious. To summarize then, a single press of SayLine stayed the same, a triple press stayed the same but may provide more detail, and a double press now does what JAWS usually does instead of mostly duplicating what a triple press already does.

You can now type Alt+1 twice on a chat window that says, "Click here to see previous messages" and actually get previous messages by doing so.

Ctrl+Shift+L no longer jumps to the Search Results list, since this is now easily reached with the Tab key. Instead, Ctrl+Shift+L now brings up a list of all contacts and allows you to call, chat with, view the profile for, or send a file or voice mail to the contact of your choice. Contacts are listed both by Skype name and Skype ID, so if you know someone's Skype ID, you can find that person easily even if he or she keeps changing Skype names. I also made the list of contacts support incremental searching, so you can type several characters of a name or ID to jump straight to it. I'm curious who will want this, but I put it in because I think several will. Note that I am sort of duplicating the Skype Quick Filter functionality here, but Quick Filtering messes up SkypeWatch, so I doubt many JAWS users enable that feature of Skype.

Ctrl+Shift+E is a little enhanced: A single press will, as always, read the Events panel. It will also quietly place the JAWS cursor there but not activate it. If your next command is either another Ctrl+Shift+E or a command that activates the JAWS cursor, in other words the JAWS cursor key or RouteJAWSToPC, the JAWS cursor is activated and restricted to the Events panel so you can read it without running off onto other things on the screen. If the Events panel changes size, such as when you clear a missed call and cause it to shrink, the restriction updates so you are still confined to exactly what the Events panel currently shows. The JAWS cursor is freed from this restriction when you next activate another cursor. Note here that there is no time limit between the first Ctrl+Shift+E and the next CTRL+Shift+E, JAWS cursor, or RouteJAWSToPC command. They are not time sensitive as most repeat JAWS commands are.

I made a very significant and prolonged attempt to provide a virtual view of the Events panel by the way. I all but disabled it though, because there are just too many problems with making it reliable. If you really want to see what I was trying to do though, you can still get to it by pressing Ctrl+Shift+E five times. As described above, you do not need to hurry in typing these keystrokes. In the virtual event view, clickable portions of the Events panel become links, and pressing Space or Enter on a link will click the corresponding item in the Events panel. The virtual view will redraw itself whenever the underlying Events panel changes. As I said, though, I find it way too unreliable, sometimes prone to infinite loops, often incapable of detecting links accurately, etc., so it will probably go away quietly someday. But it was a fun battle to fight. <grin>

This version of the scripts may produce beeps sometimes when you arrow through contacts and when you type letters to jump quickly to a particular contact. The beeps mean that the scripts can't find all the info about the newly selected contact. This has always happened, but JAWS didn't let you know it. By beeping, now it will. If you get a beep, arrow up and down a time or two to get all the information about the contact. This beeping and information shortage will not occur if you are running Skype 2.5 or later and the VCard method, described below, can be used by the scripts.

Technical Details on the Triple SayLine View:, or, what the heck is the VCard method?

This is exciting to me! I discovered that, starting in Skype 2.5, typing Ctrl+C on a contact in the Contact list copies a VCard for that contact to the clipboard. A VCard is basically a text format collection of data about the contact. I wrote script code to use this information to present a full contact profile in the virtual view when you do a triple SayLine. This will only happen under the following conditions, though, so I don't cause other problems:

1.  You are running Skype 2.5 or later.

2. You have not placed a non-text object, such as a file, on the clipboard and left it there. If you have text on the clipboard, it will be preserved, and the VCard feature will still work.

3. You have not selected multiple contacts in the list at once. This is so that the Ctrl+C typed by the script can know that it is getting information for the right contact.

Technically, when you have text on the clipboard, it is quickly moved and put back to allow this feature to work. Through a lot of testing, rapid movement, and basically everything I could think of, I have not been able to break this process, meaning I have not managed to produce a scenario in which any clipboard text is lost. If anyone does, please let me know exactly what steps you took to do it.

If you are not getting the enhanced view on a triple SayLine, try typing Ctrl+C on a contact once and then try again. This will replace any current clipboard contents with a VCard, which being a text block will enable use of the clipboard for this feature, in case you had a file or picture or something in the way on the clipboard.

Thanks to all for your patience during this, the longest recorded gap between Skype script updates. I hope the reason everyone was so patient was that version 275 was adequate for most needs, but I also hope that all that happened since was worth the wait. <grin>

Enjoy!

--
Doug Lee dgl@xxxxxxxx SSB + BART Group doug.lee@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx http://www.ssbbartgroup.com "Is your cucumber bitter? Throw it away. Are there briars in your path? Turn aside. That is enough. Do not go on to say, `Why were things of this sort ever brought into the world?'" --Marcus Aurelius to unsubscribe, set vacation mode or other options, go to the following URL, enter your email address and choose from the combo box and hit the go button.

//www.freelists.org/list/skypeenglish To learn about the scripts and to download some audio tutorials or to grab an older version of skype that may be up there, go to http://onj.andrelouis.com/marrie/TheSkypePage.html Thanks and have a good day.

This message was checked by NOD32 antivirus system. http://www.eset.com