[ktvt] Fw: AccessWorld(R) Extra June 2006

  • From: "vy pham" <missyguide@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <ktvt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jun 2006 21:37:02 -0500

----- Original Message ----- From: <accessworld@xxxxxxx> To: "AFB Subscriber" <afbweb@xxxxxxx> Sent: Tuesday, June 06, 2006 8:32 AM Subject: AccessWorld(R) Extra June 2006

AccessWorld(R) Extra A bi-monthly e-mail newsletter of additional AccessWorld(R) content Volume 6, Number 3 June 2006

"Remove" instructions at bottom

Contents
1. From the Editor
2. Readers' Corner
3. Coming Soon in AccessWorld
4. What's New
5. Contact Us

Note: This material is copyright (C) 2006, American Foundation for the Blind and may not be reprinted or reproduced electronically without permission. AccessWorld (R) is a registered trademark of the American Foundation for the Blind.

=================
1. From the Editor
=================

Dear AccessWorld Reader: Welcome to the June 2006 edition of AccessWorld Extra, the e-mail newsletter produced by AccessWorld staff members in each of the six months when AccessWorld is not published.

The first AccessWorld Guide to Assistive Technology Products has hit the street! The 2006 guide, published by AFB Press, is based on information from AFB's popular online products database. Detailed profiles of over 200 products are provided to help you determine which ones best meet your needs. Each profile includes product name, description and category; manufacturer's name; suggested price; product features; and more. A separate section lists all manufacturers and their contact information, as well as warranty information. The guide also includes a comprehensive list of objective product evaluations previously published in AccessWorld. The guide, published in print and on ASCII disk, is available for $24.95. To order, go to <www.afb.org/store>.

This month's Readers' Corner includes your responses to our questions about MP3 players. This month, we ask about the accessibility of home appliances.

This issue also includes the coming attractions from the July issue of AccessWorld and the latest news.

AccessWorld Extra is designed to be easy to read for everyone. Items are numbered, and you can search for the beginning of the next item, since each item is preceded by a line of equal signs.

Send your comments to <accessworld@xxxxxxx>. This e-mail newsletter is meant to provide, in each of the six months when the regular AccessWorld is not published, more of what you have told us you want--more of AccessWorld. We hope you will love it, but if you decide that you want to be taken off the distribution list, please e-mail us at <accessworld@xxxxxxx> and let us know. If your e-mail address changes, please also contact us at that address and we will add your new address to the distribution list.

We encourage you to forward AccessWorld Extra to a friend, relative, teacher, or someone else who may benefit from the news and information in AccessWorld. Please help us spread the news that AccessWorld is free for all to read. Just be sure to forward the entire issue, including the copyright notice.

Jay Leventhal Editor in Chief

=================
2. Readers' Corner
=================

Here's your forum for talking to us and to each other. This month, we ask about the accessibility of home appliances. (Please place an X before the appropriate choices. To respond, you can copy and paste the list into a new e-mail message, list the appropriate choices in a separate e-mail, or hit reply and place your X's next to the choices right in this message.)

This month's questions are:

1. The state of appliance accessibility has reached the point where only government intervention and regulations mandating accessibility can solve the problem. __I strongly agree __I agree __I disagree __I strongly disagree

2. Many of today's appliances are only somewhat accessible. I would be willing to give up accessibility on these appliances if each manufacturer would produce a few totally accessible appliances, perhaps 10 or 20 percent of all models offered. __I strongly agree __I agree __I disagree __I strongly disagree

3. I have had to settle for a housing situation which was not my first choice because the appliances and/or heating/air conditioning systems were inaccessible. __Yes __No

4. I have opted to keep old or out of date household equipment, even though I have the resources to purchase new equipment, because of the inaccessibility of today's appliances. __Yes __No

5. I would have more confidence in using new, somewhat accessible household equipment if I had more training or blindness-specific tutorial information about the model I purchase. __I strongly agree __I agree __I disagree __I strongly disagree

6. Please share any comments you have about your experiences shopping for or using home appliances.

_________________

In April, we asked about MP3 players. We received 29 responses.

We asked:

1. Do you use an MP3 player? Yes: 22 Yes, but mine is not accessible enough: 4 No: 2 No, but I would like to use one: 1

2. If yes, which MP3 player do you currently use? MuVo: 9 Book Port: 7 iPod Shuffle: 4 Otis: 4 BookCourier: 3 iPod: 3 iRiver: 1 Rio: 1 Sandisk Silver 1GB: 1 Archos 20 GB Recorder: 1 Sony: 1 Milestone 311: 1 Creative Zen Nano 1 GB flash: 1 BrailleNote mPower media player: 1

3. How accessible is your MP3 player? Very accessible: 16 Somewhat accessible: 7 Somewhat inaccessible: 4

4. Does your current MP3 player allow you to: Skip forward and back between tracks: 21 Bookmark a spot and come back to it: 16 Select the order in which tracks are played: 10

5. What do you listen to on your MP3 player? Books: 21 Music: 19 podcasts: 10 Radio shows: 7 Text documents: 2 Electronic braille: 1 Audible.com books: 2 Theatrical performances: 1 DAISY books: 1 Magazines: 1

Becky "I use a MuVo TX FM 256 MB MPE player. The player is not as accessible due to its crystal display, but I am able to use the up and down volume buttons, select songs using the scroll wheel. I cannot access the FM radio or recording functions. However, I like the ability to plug the player into my USB port and view files through Windows Explorer. Since there are no particular button commands, I cannot skip individual tracks, select songs, or jump forward. I listen to many types of music on my player and hope to listen to Audible.com books soon. Thank you for the opportunity to post my thoughts on AccessWorld."

Jo Stombaugh "I have had 2 other MP3 players previously, a Rio Cali 256 and a MuVo, and neither was very accessible."

Carl Martin "My BookCourier is really poor. I understand that Book Port is the same. I wish more attention was paid to recording quality in MP3 players."

Steve Cutway "As you know, the Milestone 311 is new from Switzerland and is marketed in North America by Independent Living Aids. I like its small size although its feature set is limited compared to the Book Port and to all commercial MP3 players. The manufacturer, Bones, claims they consulted the Swiss Association for the Blind and one wonders if European priorities differ from North America.

"The Milestone 311 is very easy to use with its few and very tactile buttons. Interestingly though, my department head commented that it looks "like a child's toy" until he touched it. We decided that it's the large and tactile buttons that give it the child's toy appearance but it was an interesting comment.

"Its audio is what one would expect, and the fact that it has an internal speaker (unlike the Book Port) is helpful. However, given that the price of the two products is similar ($369 US for the Milestone and $395 US for the Book Port), I recommend the Book Port. But that said, the Milestone 311 is a new product and probably needs some time to mature. So time will tell."

Jerry Weichbrodt "[On my Rio,] Play, Pause, Stop, and jumping forward/backward in the same manner as a CD player are all very accessible using a sort of navigation ring. It's also easy to turn the unit on and off, lock the keyboard, and adjust the volume. Other things like bookmarking, adjusting the equalizer, etc. are things I just haven't fooled much with trying to use since they rely on a totally inaccessible display. There are no audio beeps, so I haven't even taken the time to try and memorize menu sequences and the like.

"I understand that it's possible to bookmark a place, and someone once sent me instructions for how to do it without seeing the display. My player has a small enough memory, however, that I haven't made much of an effort with the bookmarking. I honestly don't know whether tracks can be reordered or not. If they can be reordered, it's probably buried in the inaccessible visual memory system. My player has only 32 megabytes of memory, I believe, and it's limited to playing up to two hours of audio, so it really is pretty dated technology at this point.

"Generally I've loaded songs from my own CD collection and sometimes podcasts or downloads of radio programs. Some high- quality audio files that only run an hour or so have proven to be too large for the player's memory, so that has proven to be a real limitation. I now have a portable CD player that will play MP3 files, so I sometimes use CD-RW disks to hold MP3 files for listening to on my CD player, especially if the files are large."

Your comments on other topics:

Steve Griffiths "I enjoyed the article about screen readers which appeared in the January 2006 edition of AccessWorld and was reprinted in the April edition of AccessIT. I noticed that under the "Additional Resources" heading at the end, you state "There is currently no discussion list for Hal users." I am a member of such a list which is for users of all of Dolphin's products. To join, you send a blank message to <dolphinusers-subscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>."

Anna Dresner "I really enjoyed Lynn Zelvin's article on accessing commercial e- Books ['How Shall I Read Thee? Accessing Commercial e-Books']. I have some additional information.

"Another major source of accessible eBooks is Audible, at <www.audible.com>.

"Palm documents that are not secure can be converted to text via a free program called Mini-reader, available at <www.panix.com/~kestrell/minireader.exe>. Many books sold at Fictionwise are in this format.

"Bookshare.org offers all its books in DAISY format as well as BRF.

"Finally, there is more information about accessing eBooks in my book, Finding eBooks on the Internet, at <www.nbp.org/ic/nbp/EBOOK.html> and on the Blind Bookworm page at <www.panix.com/~kestrell/ebooks.html>."

=================
3. Coming Soon in AccessWorld
=================

We hope you are enjoying the May 2006 AccessWorld, featuring evaluations of the PC Mate and the ClearNote CCTVs, the FreedomBox, the Brailliant braille display and medium sized office copiers; two articles on the accessibility of home appliances; an interview with FreedomBox users; an article on accessing commercial e-books; a recap of the 2006 CSUN conference, and more. You can read the issue for free or download printer-ready or braille-embosser-ready files at <www.afb.org/accessworld>.

Don't miss the July 2006 issue, coming soon. This issue will bring you:

Diabetes and Visual Impairment: Are Insulin Pens Accessible? Darren Burton and Mark Uslan

We evaluate the accessibility of insulin pens, devices that offer diabetics a delivery method that is easier, less painful and more discreet than drawing doses from a vial using a needle and syringe. They are small, lightweight plastic hand-held devices with pre- filled insulin cartridges inside, and they use small micro fine needles that have been shown to cause significantly less pain than conventional syringe needles. Find out how accessible these devices are for people who are blind or have low vision.

"Is This for Here or to Go?" A Series on Portable, Laptop Compatible Video Magnifiers, Part 2 Lee Huffman

We evaluate the MagniLink Student Addition from Low Vision International, a laptop-compatible CCTV. This is the second article in a series evaluating CCTVs which are laptop compatible, weigh less than 5 pounds, have a rotating camera that allows for near and distance viewing, and have the ability to take a "picture" of an image and save it to the computer. Learn what this product has to offer.

More Than One Way to Read: A Review of Kurzweil 1000 and OpenBook Brad Hodges

We evaluate Kurzweil 1000 and OpenBook, the two leading optical character recognition (OCR) systems for people who are blind. Each product was tested to determine how well it recognizes the text on a variety of printed pages, its ability to follow the formatting of printed material and how well it handles file conversion--reading untagged PDF documents, for example. Read about how these products compare.

Figure It Out: A Review of Virtual Pencil Arithmetic and Virtual Pencil Algebra from Henter Math Janet Ingber

We evaluate Henter Math's Virtual Pencil, a program that allows people who are blind to solve math problems independently. Virtual Pencil offers two math programs: VP Arithmetic and VP Algebra. VP Arithmetic covers such operations as addition, subtraction, multiplication, division and fractions. VP Algebra allows you to solve both simple and complicated problems and equations. Check out this handy software.

Can You Get the Music? A Review of Music Download Sites Janet Ingber

We review music download sites, the places to go to if you want to purchase and download all types of music legally. The sites include: eMusic, RealPlayer, Rhapsody, Napster, Wal-Mart, and iTunes. None of these sites is a model of accessibility, but with some persistence, you can buy and play the music of your choice.

Accessing the Machine: Two Solutions for Using Large, Multi- Function Copy Machines Darren Burton and Lee Huffman

We present the third in a three-part series investigating the accessibility of today's multi-function copy machines. This article focuses on accessibility solutions from Canon and Xerox that have been specifically designed to make their large copy machines more accessible and usable for people who are blind or have low vision. Find out how well these accessibility solutions work.

Play All Day with Playaway Deborah Kendrick

We describe Playaway, a combination audio book and player in one. It includes simple controls, and costs about the same as an audio book on CD or cassette. Find out how accessible this interesting new product is.

Legends and Pioneers of Blindness Assistive Technology, Part 1 Anthony Candela

We bring you the first in a series of articles chronicling the history of assistive technology. The entire history project includes interviews of more than 20 major players--including inventors, company executives, and trainers. Read about how these people's innovations led to the assistive technology we use today.

=================
4. What's New
=================

New Talking Blood Glucose Meter The Prodigy, a new talking blood glucose meter, is now available. Prodigy uses only 0.6 microliters of blood and provides results in seven seconds. The meter measures 3.7/8 inches by 1.3/4 inches by
15/16 inch. The price is $29 and a box of 50 test strips costs $18. Order five boxes of test strips, and the meter is free. For more information, contact: Diabetic Support Program, 3381 Fairlane Farms Road, Wellington, FL 33414; phone: 800-799-1477; web site: <www.prescriptionsplus.com>.

A Week Without Web-Braille For those who don't know, Web-Braille is a service of the National Library Service for the Blind and Physically Handicapped (NLS) that allows NLS patrons who are blind or have low vision to download translated braille files of books and magazines. Beginning on May
10th, anyone logging onto Web-Braille on the NLS web site received the following message: "Because of technical and security difficulties, Web-Braille will be unavailable in the near future. NLS regrets the inconvenience and will provide further information as soon as possible." Both the American Council of the Blind and the National Federation of the Blind reacted strongly to Web- Braille's suspension, as did some individual consumers. On May
17th, Web-Braille was reinstated. Users must now accept an agreement in order to use the service. The agreement states that "Any further reproduction or distribution of the braille or recorded materials may constitute infringement of copyright. . . . Web-Braille files or any files generated from them may not be distributed or sold under any circumstances. Transferring original or modified Web-Braille files to anyone is prohibited. User IDs and passwords may not be shared with anyone. The Library of Congress actively monitors the NLS system to protect against this, which includes maintaining records of the identity of persons downloading materials from this web site. Readers engaging in or facilitating further reproduction or distribution of Web-Braille materials may have their privileges under the National Library Service program suspended or revoked, may be required to surrender the federal property in their possession, and may be subject to other penalties, including criminal penalties, afforded under federal law." For more information about Web-Braille, visit: <www.loc.gov/nls/braille/>.

Google Makes Services More Accessible Thanks to the efforts of bloggers who are blind and others, Google has begun to make its Gmail service and other services accessible to users who are blind. The main problem was word verification tests, or captchas. These graphical images are supposed to prevent spammers from signing up for e-mail and other accounts. Google has followed the lead of other companies and implemented audio captchas--a series of numbers, announced against a background of noise, which a person who is blind then types into the proper box to access the service. Google is also looking to hire software engineers to address additional accessibility concerns.

New CCTV Enhanced Vision has introduced the Merlin LCD CCTV. Features include a three-button control panel, an integrated 17-inch or 19- inch monitor, easy-to-use sliding brightness lever, five digital color select options, and 2.7x - 58x magnification. For more information, contact: Enhanced Vision: Phone: 888-811-3161 or
714-374-1829; web site: <www.enhancedvision.com>.

Optacon Repairs It is still possible to get Optacons repaired. If your unit needs repair, send an e-mail to <oehmelec@xxxxxxx>. Be sure to describe your situation, including your location, so that you will be referred to the most appropriate person.

Correction The April AccessWorld Extra listed the wrong telephone number for Optelec USA. The correct phone number is 800-826-4200.

Got News? If you have a news item for AccessWorld and AccessWorld Extra, e- mail it to <accessworld@xxxxxxx>.

=================
5. Contact Us
=================

Editor in Chief Jay Leventhal: <jaylev@xxxxxxx>

Contributing Editors Founding Editor: Paul Schroeder: <pws@xxxxxxx> Senior Features Editor: Deborah Kendrick: <dkk@xxxxxxx> Crista L. Earl: <crista@xxxxxxx> Mark M. Uslan: <muslan@xxxxxxx>

Managing Editor Ellen Bilofsky: <ebb@xxxxxxx>

Associate Editor Rebecca Burrichter: <rebeccab@xxxxxxx>

Marketing Manager Sharon Baker-Harris: <sharonb@xxxxxxx>

Web site: <www.afb.org/accessworld>

General e-mail: <accessworld@xxxxxxx>

AccessWorld(R), AFB's premier technology publication is a free, web-based magazine. It offers multiple options for reading and sharing content, including a braille embosser-ready file, a printer-friendly version, and an "e-mail this article to a friend" option.

To advertise, contact the AFB Press Advertising Department; phone:
212-502-7652; e-mail: <sharonb@xxxxxxx>.

To submit an article, question for the Questions and Answers column, or Letter to the Editor, contact: Jay Leventhal; phone:212-502-7639; e-mail: <jaylev@xxxxxxx>.

AccessWorld Extra is published bi-monthly by AFB Press, American Foundation for the Blind, 11 Penn Plaza, Suite 300, New York, NY
10001. Products included in AccessWorld Extra are not necessarily endorsed by AccessWorld(R) or AFB staff. All rights reserved. Copyright (C) 2006, American Foundation for the Blind.

AccessWorld(R) is a registered trademark of the American Foundation for the Blind.

"Remove" instructions You are receiving this message because you are an AccessWorld reader. To be taken off the distribution list, please reply to this message with the word "remove" in the subject line, and we will remove you at once. (If you do not wish to read AccessWorld, you have received this e-mail in error, and we sincerely apologize).