[korgypark] Re: XP question

  • From: Andrew Ebling <aebling@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: korgypark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: 01 Mar 2002 07:56:39 +0000

Hello!

> Is anyone using Cakewalk 9 and their X5 with windows XP?

I don't know about Cakewalk 9, but I can offer my experiences of Emagic
Micrologic and the X5D with windows XP.

First off, micrologic is not supposed to be compatible with XP and sure
enough, when attempting to install it you are told you are using the
wrong version of windows and the installer exits.

However, if you open the CDROM drive in an explorer window, right click
on the setup program and select windows 95 compatibility, the installer
will then run without a problem.  The version on the CDROM (4.1) seems
to work pretty well in XP apart from the fact that it has a habit of
crashing on exit.  Upgrading to 4.8.1 (4.1->4.5->4.8.1) using the
patches on the emagic website solves this problem.

The moral of the story is, even if a software package says it doesn't
work in XP, try it in compatibility mode and update it to the latest
version.

Then as far as the X5D is concerned... I was fairly confident of getting
this working as I had used the serial interface successfully with win98
on the same hardware.

I downloaded the NT/w2k/XP serial interface drivers from Korg UKs
website and followed the instructions in the html readme file, adapting
things for XP as necessary.

Unfortunately I found that turning on the X5D caused the computer to
freeze completely, until I turned it off again... when the computer
would come back to life.  I then noticed at the end of the readme file a
section about the X5 freezing windows 2000, and that this was down to
generic PCIF cables not having the same pin connections as the official
Korg cable.

I then headed over to Korgypark and noted down the pin layout for the
official Korg Cable, this information  is also in the manual but I
managed to mislay mine during the process of moving house :-((.  I
hacked the pre-moulded 9 pin connector off my generic PCIF cable and
soldered on a new one with the new pin layout as per korgypark.

Now I have a working sequencer and keyboard in XP :-))

Hope that helps with getting cakewalk up and running.

Andy