[korgypark] Re: How to play midi files on Korg X3 ???

  • From: Mark Murdock <mmurdock@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <korgypark@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Feb 2003 23:09:10 -0800

Bob:

All by itself, the X5 cannot play midi files.  It needs an external
sequencer (from a computer or stand alone box).  The programs that play midi
files back are called sequencers (Master Tracks Pro, or most modern music
programs (Cubase VST, Pro-Tools, Digi-tools, Digital Performer) have
sequencers in them. (Yamaha makes a stand alone sequencer called an MDF
(Midi Data File).

Your computer's sound card, should also have a way to get MIDI info in and
out.  If you connect the MIDI out to your X5 your computer will play back
the MIDI file into the computer allowing you to hear the X5's much better
MIDI sounds.

When you computer plays back the MIDI files, it is using the synthesizer
built on to your sound card, or some sort of other internal synthesizer.

This is because MIDI data, is not really music.  It is a set of instructions
that tells the computer in the synth what notes to play, and how long to
hold them, what sounds (patches) to use etc.

If you have further questions, please feel free to ask.

Mark