Hardware_club Re: [kochi_hw_club] Modem connect is very slow

  • From: bobbyprajan@xxxxxxxx
  • To: kochi_hw_club@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2005 23:01:31 +0500

----- Original Message -----
From: Karthik N <megatop@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wednesday, February 16, 2005 12:52 pm
Subject: [kochi_hw_club] Modem connect is very slow
> Hi All,
>
> I am Karthik. I joined this group yesterday after browsing a mail from
> Bobby Rajan.

hi

welcome to the list

> I am having a P4 mac with XP Prof OS. I use a DLink modem DFM 560ES.

hmmm bad luck. this modem has been very troublesome for me so far.

> The connect speed is very slow.

even if you get a high initial speed, it will stall after some time.

> When I download any file from the net
> thru Download Accelarator (DAP), I get a speed indication of max 2.5
> kbps.

2.5 Kbps is more or less ok. if you get it to connect at 31200 bps you should
get around 3 Kbps

> That too I got after adding +MS=V34 init string. Prior to
> that I
> used to get around 1 kbps.

that string clamps the modem to negotiate only v.34 even when both sides
support higher speeds

> I use a BSNL CLI based account for
> connectivity. Sometime back my phone line was having noise problem.
> Now atleast I dont hear the noises anymore.. Dont know if noise is
> still present in small traces..

a noisy phone line can seriously hamper your internet experience

> I took the modem reply for the AT&v1 command. I have appended it
> below.
> ------------------------------
>
> TERMINATION REASON.......... NONE
> LAST TX rate................ N/A
> HIGHEST TX rate............. 300 BPS
> LAST RX rate................ N/A
> HIGHEST RX rate............. 300 BPS
> PROTOCOL.................... N/A
> COMPRESSION................. N/A
> Line QUALITY................ 255
> Rx LEVEL.................... 215
> Highest Rx State............ 00
> Highest TX State............ 00
> EQM Sum..................... FFFF
> RBS Pattern................. FF
> Rate Drop................... FF
> Digital Loss................ None
> Local Rtrn Count............ 00
> Remote Rtrn Count........... 00
> Flex fail
>
> OK

cant make anything out of this.

> Please let me know if I can increase the speed.

if you dont use that string, it will ofcourse connect at a higher speed, but it
will be far less stable and reliable.

> Rgds
> Karthik

regards