[Klamath County Fire Defense Board] Klamath County Emergency Operations Plan

  • From: George Buckingham <gbuckingham@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Monte Keady <mkeady@xxxxxxxxx>, Les Tyree <leslie.tyree.1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Jim Wenzel (jwenzel@xxxxxxxxx)" <jwenzel@xxxxxxxxx>, John Ketchum <firechief@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Defense Board Fire (klamathcountyfdb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)" <klamathcountyfdb@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Feb 2011 13:39:48 -0800

Good Afternoon,

Klamath County Emergency Management has been engaged in a long process of
working with a state funded contractor to re-write the county Emergency
Operations Plan (EOP).  Attached is a near-final draft of the basic plan and
some of the appendices that I'm guessing may or may not be of interest to you.

The objectives of this little adventure is to meet a 5 year updating
requirement, convert to a state-wide format, and to be NIMS compliant.  As a
contractor wrote the document, there were 'mistakes' in agency names and
organizations.  Moving to NIMS compliance required a lot of changes is the
basic command and control structure.  The document contains many assumptions as
to what is expected of various county departments and other jurisdictions.

These are the areas I spent the most time on and thus probably the most likely
to still have mistakes and/or miscommunications.  You may, or may not, have the
same concerns.  Feel free to scrutinize all or whatever portions you wish
and/or request other appendices (see the table of contents).

I'll start inputing comments on February 21.  That gives you two weeks for
review.  I hope that is sufficient.

Once I have incorporated your (and others') concerns, the contractor will put
it together and I'll present to the Board of Commissioners for approval (no
doubt County Counsel will review also).  After approval, we will conduct a
tabletop exercise designed to acquaint all with the new plan.  We can add
revisions at that point.  For that matter, we can revise it whenever we wish.
It will always be a dynamic document.  However, now is better than later.  I
know you are more than busy and so appreciate whatever time you and/or your
staff can devote to this.

Thanks,

George Buckingham
      Acting Emergency Manager, Klamath County Emergency Management
      Emergency Preparedness Coordinator, Klamath County Public Health
Department

403 Pine Street
Klamath Falls, OR 97601
541-882-8848 x3501