[klaatumail] Re: klaatumail Digest V4 #63

  • From: THOMAS KJAERSGAARD <canadatomk@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 16 Sep 2012 14:59:20 -0700 (PDT)

More interesting history - sorry for the "digress"...

The song strongly resembles Frank Sinatraâ??s â??My Wayâ?? â?? it has identical
chords â?? and with good reason. Back in 1968 Bowie had written English lyrics
for a French song called â??Comme, Dâ??Habitudeâ??, calling his version â??Even
A Fool Learns To Loveâ??. It was never released, but soon afterwards Canadian
songwriter Paul Anka heard the original version, bought the rights and rewrote
it as â??My Wayâ??. Bowie recorded â??Life On Mars?â?? as a Sinatra parody in
anger at having missed out on a fortune, although the Hunky Dory liner notes
state that the song was merely â??inspired by Frankieâ??.
Otherwise it couldnâ??t be much more different from â??My Wayâ??. A slew of
surreal images â?? â??Mickey Mouse has grown up a cowâ?? etc â?? are combined
with Bowieâ??s operatic delivery, string arrangements by Mick Ronson and piano
thrills from Rick Wakeman to ensure this is one of the oddest hit singles ever

Date: Tue, 4 Sep 2012 22:08:52 -0700 (PDT)
From: Ron Balliet <lunarsurface@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [klaatumail] Re: Remastered Hope...

I am HOPEing to order this soon....has Madman been edited out...:^)