[klaatumail] Re: Amplifier Tech Question(no kk)

  • From: dean thut <deansmilkco@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: klaatumail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 3 Nov 2009 16:02:24 -0800 (PST)

> Subject: [klaatumail] Re: Amplifier Tech Question(no kk)
>
> Dean, that depends on the head & the cabs.
>
> Need more information, such as;
>
> What is the min. ohmage of the head? Is it switchable?(4, 8, 16ohms?)

     It is a Marshall Artist 30 watt 3203 hybrid valve solid state. It is
switchable between 4 and 8 ohms. I have had it on 4 for the last sixteen years
while playing through a 2x12 cabinet. It`s always sounded ok that way.

> What ohms are the cabs? If one cab is 4ohms & the other is 8ohms, you would
> have a load of 2.67 ohms! Most guitar heads can't go that low...usually 16,
> 8, or 4 ohms. If your cabs are 4 & 8 ohm, I wouldn't connect them to your
> head...you will get magic smoke...not a good thing.

     The Marshall 4x12 is 8 ohms. I assume that the other cab is 4. I`ve only
played with both plugged in once but don`t plan to do it  again. There are 2
speaker jacks in the back of the head so I plugged one into each.

  My plan is to not use the 2x12 with the Marshall anymore.

   Thank you for the input T.L.

               Dean Thut