[kismac] Re: kismac bug ?

  • From: Vincent Malguy <malguy_v@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Nov 2004 11:37:17 +0100

Sorry , i made a mistake : I wanted to say that in Activ mode (ie apple driver loaded) , i see this network and in Passiv mode (ie custom mick's driver) i cant see it .

Mac filtering is not a issue : I cant try to authenticate with it (mac os x even ask me for a password).

I belive that in passive mode the channel 1 is not check . can someone confirm this ?

Le 27 nov. 04, à 10:11, Brad Knowles a écrit :

At 11:18 PM +0100 2004-11-26, Vincent Malguy wrote:

I just see something strange with kismac : I found a wireless network
(very strong signal around 50) when i am configured in passif mode but
when i change this configuration to active mode , the network is never
found ! I tried severals times (rebooting ...) and nothing . This
network is in channel 1.

What is the configuration of this network? It's entirely possible that they are set up as a "closed" network with access restricted to certain MAC addresses, and if your address isn't on the approved list, then you would never see this network in active mode.

This is what makes passive sniffer tools like KisMac much more useful in detecting WiFi networks than active-only stumbler tools. There are a lot of people out there who are going beyond the basics of enabling WEP and doing everything they can to hide their network from people casually "stumbling" around.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

    Assembly to the Governor, November 11, 1755