[kismac] Re: Netgear WG511T PCMCIA Card

  • From: Michael Rossberg <mick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Jul 2004 16:16:05 +0200

Hey guys,

OK, I got a clear view of that situation yesterday. What is the state of
the passive Atheros code.

My understanding is that it is very early alpha right now. Passive-capable Atheros code is under development for Linux (and presumably other freely available OSes, such as FreeBSD), and Mick is/was working with those teams to bring that over to KisMac and MacOS X. But I don't recall them having gotten very far.

In worked with Atheros to port their HAL code to OS X, which had been completed in January. Then John Bellardo and I developed a driver together. It was supposed to be a real driver, from which I derived a passive only variant. This is the one, which is included binary only in KisMAC, since John and I did not agree on a license (BSD or GPL). We both did have no time and made a couple of fundamental design errors (it was our first PCI/PCCard driver). This is the state. The design errors are the reason for the random crashes. However I did plan to sit down in september and try rewriting the driver.

 Then I should ask a colleague in our electronics department to glue
 together something with a well documented chipset. He has done that
 already with 802.11b stuff for an embedded device.

You can glue together anything you want. But where would you get the drivers?

Help is always welcome, however do not underestimate the complexity and the difference between OSX and other OSes. Also due design issues the only the Prism GT chipset is the only well-documented 802.11g chipset! My GTDriver is already capable of monitor mode. However I need to write a KisMAC interface and test it. Scheduled for end of july/beginning of august.
Any comments welcome...

mick