[kismac] Re: 802.11a support?

  • From: Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kismac@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 May 2004 15:12:23 +0200

At 1:16 PM -0700 2004/05/28, Galen wrote:

 So my question is about KisMAC and 802.11a. Are there any drivers that
 support 802.11a cards in KisMAC?

Nope. Not any 802.11g support, either. But at least you can use Apple Airport Extreme (and other Broadcom-based cards) in active mode, where you use the Apple driver. I believe that there is an 802.11g Atheros-based driver under development that could be used with KisMac in the future, but I think you should also be able to at least use them in active mode today, with someone else's driver.

So far as I know, there is no driver from any vendor anywhere that works with 802.11a equipment for MacOS X. Since the speed is the same as 802.11g, the range is worse, and you can't use the same kinds of antennas and amplifiers, I doubt too many people are interested in it. Only those who would be concerned about airwave congestion with other 802.11b/g hardware are likely to be working with it.

 I'm looking at using a driver like this for Mac OS X:
 http://www.orangeware.com/endusers/wirelessformac.html

Hmm. Okay, so maybe there is a driver out there that will support 802.11a with a particular chipset. Interesting, I was not aware of this.

--
Brad Knowles, <brad.knowles@xxxxxxxxx>