[kinovea-dev] DrawingTools branch merge + Mercurial migration

  • From: Joan <joan@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kinovea-dev@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 05 Aug 2011 23:46:54 +0200

Hello,

A quick note to let you guys know that I have merged the DrawingTools branch into trunk (Much testing needed for regressions! and more on that code later). I actually did the merge in Mercurial using since the Subversion server at CodingTeam forge is broken for "reintegrate" merge (and regular merge had too many conflicts). The admin is on vacation I think.

As I have posted on the forum, I think the code will move to Mercurial version control system soon (as soon as possible really). The migration shouldn't be troublesome (I already cloned the entire svn repo several times to test, and today's merge is another proof).

Once this migration is done, we should follow the "one branch per repository" pattern. (that is, to work on a feature, you clone the whole repo and work on "default" (="trunk" in svn world), as opposed to creating a named branch inside it. This is the most common approach to DVCS in open source projects.). Then we merge the repos.

To share code, we can follow the "pull only" pattern: once you're done with your changes, you make a pull request (on this list or by mail), then I pull it and then push to the "official" repository (all your commits are in the log). It's the approach followed by the Linux kernel and on most git/Hg projects, and it seems to work well. It means you must have a way to publish the clone somewhere though. This could be Bitbucket.org, your own temporary server, maybe CodingTeam (not sure how is the Mercurial support there). Alternatively, a patch file attached to a mail will do.

Let me know if you have any objections, ideas, etc.
Joan.