[Kibs] Finished: THE CABIN AT THE END OF THE WORLD by Paul Tremblay

  • From: Mike <mike@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Kibs Literary Treehouse <kibs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2020 16:28:13 +0100

* Mike wrote on 2020-10-03 13:31 +0100:

Started reading THE CABIN AT THE END OF THE WORLD by Paul Tremblay on 2020-09-23.

Finished reading THE CABIN AT THE END OF THE WORLD by Paul Tremblay on 2020-10-01.

I really enjoyed this. I was slow to start it, but once I got into it, I read it in two long sittings.

It's more tense than scary, but it's effective and authentic. It manages to convey a convincing, open-ended situation with the right amount of uncertainty and lack of total closure that adds realism.

Some of the writing tries a little too hard. I nearly laughed reading the line, "The gray sky is a smear, a NEUROMANCER sky, dead and anachronistic". It works best when Tremblay doesn't try to be too arch or literary; the more grounded it stays the better it is.

--
   MIKE, KIBS Member #2
     "Facts are meaningless. You can

--
~ Kibs Literary Treehouse Book Club, founded 2016
~~~ To post, send mail to Kibs@xxxxxxxxxxxxx