[KIBS] Finished: KAFKA ON THE SHORE by Haruki Murakami

  • From: Mike <mike@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: KIBS Literary Treehouse <KIBS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Aug 2019 17:26:06 +0100

* Mike wrote on 2019-08-11 12:18 +0100:

Started reading KAFKA ON THE SHORE by Haruki Murakami on 2019-08-08.

Finished reading KAFKA ON THE SHORE by Haruki Murakami today 2019-08-17.

I hated this a little less than the others, but I still hated it.

It's standard issue Murakami: a directionless male protagonist who somehow finds himself irresistible women. This one is, apparently, 15-years-old but speaks and acts like every other 30-something Murakami protagonist. Every character talks in long-winded bouts of exposition and cod-philosophy. Everyone listens to, and talks about, classical or jazz music.

Somewhat unusual about this one: it has a split narrative that cuts between two sets of characters. Sadly, Murakami buggers it up. He manages to make the appearance of Deep South chicken magnate Colonel Sanders both boring and irritating. He squanders him as a guide-cum-pimp for an old man and a truck-driver on a bullshit mystical adventure.

--
  MIKE, KIBS Member #2
    "Since my house burned down

--
~ KIBS Literary Treehouse Book Club, Established 2016
~~~ To post, send mail to KIBS@xxxxxxxxxxxxx