[keiths-list] Tŝilhqot'in Nation celebrates completion of solar farm | CBC News

  • From: Darryl McMahon <darryl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: keiths-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 23 Oct 2019 11:13:36 -0400

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/british-columbia/ts-ilhqot-in-nation-solar-farm-1.5330470

Tŝilhqot'in Nation celebrates completion of solar farm

2-hectare site west of Williams Lake will generate 1,500 mWh per year and $175,000 in annual revenue

Karin Larsen · CBC News · Posted: Oct 22, 2019

The Tŝilhqot'in Nation says its new 1,500 megawatt solar farm is now complete and will generate $175,000 in revenue annually once connected to the BC Hydro grid.

The two-hectare site, located 80 kilometres west of Williams Lake, B.C., holds 3,456 solar panels that will convert energy from the sun into electricity.

Chief Russell Myers Ross said the project involved all six Tŝilhqot'in communities and is a significant step toward self-sufficiency.

"There were challenging hurdles to get this project to the point of completion, but I am happy to see that the solar farm is ready to offer electricity to the region and provide revenue for the Tŝilhqot'in Nation," said Myers Ross, vice-chair of the Tŝilhqot'in National Government.

Chief Joe Alphonse, tribal chair of the Tŝilhqot'in National Government, calls the completion of the solar farm a huge economic win for the nation.

"Energy and electricity has been lacking out in the territory for a long time ... so we welcome the opportunity for business and to improve the wellbeing of our people," said Alphonse.

The 1,500 megawatts is enough to power approximately 135 homes. The farm has a life expectancy of 25 years.

The solar farm is located on the Riverwest Sawmill grounds and the connection to B.C. Hydro lines along nearby Highway 20 is expected to be complete by the end of November.

Note: new climate change website is now in pre-launch
Visit https://www.10n10.ca/e/index.shtml