[keiths-list] The Weather Network - Widespread frost to put abrupt end to growing season.

  • From: Darryl McMahon <darryl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: keiths-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 5 Oct 2019 10:56:38 -0400

https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/news/article/cooler-temperas-mean-widespread-frost-for-southern-ontario

[Why am I posting a weather report article here today? Because it makes a point the climate change apologists refuse to understand. Climate change does not lead to longer growing seasons. Due to the increased volatility of weather, including temperatures, climate change leads to SHORTER growing seasons. It's counter-intuitive, I know. But this is the reality of growing seasons for most crops - it runs from the last frost in spring to the first frost in autumn. Because of temperature volatility brought on by climate change impacting the path of the jetstream - especially in spring and autumn now - we get sub-zero nights later in the spring and earlier in the autumn than was the case when weather patterns were more stable.

This detrimental impact on growing seasons comes on top of more droughts, more floods, more crop-damaging hail and wind storms, and changes in when precipitation appears over the course of the growing season.

The key take-away here is that we have developed agriculture based on 12,000 years of relatively stable climate. Pretty much any change in climate and weather patterns is going to have negative effects on the crops we are accustomed to growing.

This specific story is about hard frosts in important crop growing areas roughly 2-4 weeks earlier than is typical for these areas. Mitigation is going to require shifting to crops which mature faster or more protected growing techniques, like enclosed vertical urban crops. That is likely one of the costs of increasing food security in the next few years.

images in online article]

Ontario: Chilly start to weekend before warmth, rain return

In case the chill in the air didn't convince you, the frost advisories in place for a good portion of southern Ontario might. *The growing season is set to come to an abrupt end across much of the region Saturday morning as temperatures dip under clear skies.* While the warm air does rebound by the second half of the weekend, clouds and showers come along with it. We take a look at how chilly it gets and take a peek ahead to Thanksgiving weekend, below.

WEATHER HIGHLIGHTS:

Widespread frost threat early Saturday outside of urban/suburban areas, advisories in effect
    Mainly sunny skies through Saturday afternoon
    Showers, milder temperatures return for end of weekend into next week
    Watching for cold front, chilly showers into Thanksgiving weekend
    Stay aware of ALERTS in your area

WIDESPREAD FROST AS TEMPERATURES TUMBLE

While high pressure will clear out the clouds through the start of the weekend, sunshine won't do much to help high temperatures with many places barely hitting the lower teens through Saturday.

"Widespread frost is likely early Saturday outside of urban/suburban areas," says Weather Network meteorologist Dr. Doug Gillham. "Temperatures will dip well below freezing across parts of cottage country." Early risers will find temperatures on the chilly side, even after sunrise.

The rain showers return by early Sunday morning ahead of a brief boost in daytime highs. Some spots will return to the 20-degree mark for Sunday afternoon, though spotty showers won't make this a great outdoor day.

--
Darryl McMahon
Freelance Project Manager (sustainable systems)