[keiths-list] State DNR presses Enbridge for written agreement that it will cover costs of spills from Line 5 pipeline - mlive.com

  • From: Darryl McMahon <darryl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: keiths-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2020 18:21:38 -0400

https://www.mlive.com/news/2020/07/state-dnr-presses-enbridge-for-written-agreement-that-it-will-cover-costs-of-spills-from-line-5-pipeline.html

[This is how you close down an old pipeline: make the operator, fully, legally and credibly liable for the damages caused when it leaks. The oil industry is an old hand at making vague commitments to clean up its messes, and then failing to do so when the bill comes due. E.g., Prince William Sound has never been properly cleaned up or remediated since the Exxon Valdez grounding, and those injured by the spill mostly died before seeing a cents on the dollar settlement. When you ask for a legally binding version of that commitment, the oil industry will always balk. Witness the emerging story on the Trans Mountain Expansion pipeline project as insurers are backing away when they recognize the real financial risk of having to pay for a leak in it.

links in online article]

State DNR presses Enbridge for written agreement that it will cover costs of spills from Line 5 pipeline

2020.07.22

By Cheyna Roth | croth@xxxxxxxxx

LANSING -- Michigan wants assurance that Canadian pipeline giant Enbridge will cover the financial cost of an oil spill in the Straits of Mackinac—and it wants it in writing this time.

Enbridge owns the controversial Line 5 pipeline that carries crude oil and natural gas liquids under the Straits of Mackinac. Last week the DNR called on Enbridge to promise that it would and could cover all financial liability if there was a spill or damage to the pipeline. The DNR said Wednesday that it isn’t satisfied with the response letter Enbridge sent on Monday.

“If Enbridge Inc. is really committed to providing financial assurance to the people of Michigan, they’ll enter into a written agreement to that effect,” said DNR Director, Dan Eichinger in a statement.

“We will continue working around the clock to get these pipelines that transport crude oil out of the Great Lakes as soon as possible,” he said. “While we continue this work, Enbridge Inc. must provide full financial assurance to the people of Michigan that the company will meet its obligations in the event there is a spill or some other disastrous damage to the Great Lakes.”

Essentially, they want an agreement that will hold up in court.

Enbridge gave a similar statement on the matter to what it sent out last week when asked about the agreement. Spokesman Ryan Duffy said in an email that the company plans to take full responsibility for any clean-up resulting from an incident in Michigan or anywhere else along the pipeline.

“Since we already have an agreement with the State of Michigan to provide these assurances, if the State would like to sit down and discuss our financial assurances, we would be happy to do so and we made that offer in our response to Director Eichinger,” Duffy said.

But the state maintains that this isn’t adequate. They’re concerned that parent company Enbridge Inc. would not be obligated to cover spill costs for subsidiary Enbridge Energy Company Inc. And that Enbridge Energy wouldn’t be able to pay the bill if it comes due.

DNR spokesman, Edward Golder said in an email that the state wants what Enbridge has never given them: “a binding, written agreement that Enbridge Inc., the Canada-based parent company for the corporation, and not one of its subsidiaries, takes full financial responsibility for a potential oil release from Line 5.”

The state wants the following, in writing, from the parent company, Enbridge Inc.:

Enbridge Inc., the parent company, agrees to assume the indemnity obligations of Enbridge Energy Company, Inc.
Enbridge Inc. agrees to a minimum of $900 million in liability insurance.
Enbridge Inc. names the State of Michigan as an additional insured party on the identified policies so that Michigan’s right of recovery is not derivative.
Enbridge Inc. will directly pledge its own assets for the remainder of the financial assurance requirements (to meet or exceed $1.878 billion, annually adjusted for inflation).

“I’m shocked at Enbridge Inc.‘s refusal so far to sign a written agreement promising to cover the costs of an oil spill in the Great Lakes if this unthinkable event were to happen,” said Gov. Gretchen Whitmer in a statement.

“When I was a kid, my parents taught me: ‘You break it, you pay for it.’ It seems that’s the bare minimum Enbridge Inc. owes every Michigander so long as the company continues to pump crude oil through the Straits of Mackinac,” she said.

Whether the 67-year-old line should remain in the water is the subject of an ongoing lawsuit between the state and Enbridge.

In 2018, Enbridge made a deal with then Governor Rick Snyder to build a $500 million utility tunnel under the bedrock of the straits that would house a new portion of the pipeline. But current Governor Gretchen Whitmer and Attorney General Dana Nessel have been fighting the plan in court.

On June 25, an Ingham County Circuit Court judge granted the state Attorney General’s Office request that the twin pipelines be shutdown. This was after a support was damaged earlier in the month.

The pipeline, which traverses the bottomlands of the Great Lakes before cutting through the Lower Peninsula to Canada near Port Huron, is made up of an east and west “leg.” .

In July, Judge James Jamo allowed the line to partially reopen. The west leg can operate, but the east leg remains shutdown until the Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration, a federal agency that regulates and monitors oil pipeline operators, grants reopening.

“Enbridge’s Line 5 is a 645-mile, 30-inch diameter pipeline that travels through Michigan’s Upper and Lower Peninsulas—originating in Superior, Wisconsin, and terminating in Sarnia, Ontario, Canada,” the Enbridge website says. “Line 5 supplies 65% of propane demand in Michigan’s Upper Peninsula, and 55% of Michigan’s statewide propane needs.”
Note: new climate change website is now in pre-launch
Visit https://www.10n10.ca/e/index.shtml