[keiths-list] Shell’s Quest marks milestone ahead of schedule | Fort Saskatchewan Record

  • From: Darryl McMahon <darryl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: keiths-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 7 Jul 2017 22:54:05 -0400

http://www.fortsaskatchewanrecord.com/2017/07/06/shells-quest-marks-milestone-ahead-of-schedule

Shell’s Quest marks milestone ahead of schedule

By Leanne Delong, Fort Saskatchewan Record

Thursday, July 6, 2017 1:03:34 MDT PM

The Quest Carbon Capture and Storage (CCS) project, designed by Shell Canada has proven successful by capturing two million tonnes of carbon dioxide ahead of schedule.

Shell Scotford hit their target goal of 2 million tonnes in just 21 months, exceeding the initial expectation of two years.

“This project has just been incredibly exciting because not only are we proving that this technology works, but we are demonstrating that Canadians are at the forefront of carbon capture and technology,” said Shell Canada external relations advisor, Conal MacMillan. “We’re showing the world we can develop real solutions to address climate change right here in Fort Saskatchewan and Strathcona County.”

The CCS project, which is among just a handful throughout the world, captures CO2 emissions from flue gas (the gas left over and burned off at the upgrader) and sent via pipeline to Thorhild County, the gas is injected more than two kilometres underground and held within cap rock.

The project reduces CO2 emissions from Shell’s upgrader by more than one million tonnes per year, which is equivalent to annual emissions of roughly 250,000 cars.

“Being the first ever CCS project associated with oil sands, the intent was to demonstrate this technology to reduce carbon emissions does exist and can be an effective way to reduce emissions,” noted MacMillan.

The external relations advisor added when they announced the project, they estimated it will operate for 25 years and from what they have seen in the first two years of operation has been successful and they are quite proud. Since Quest’s launch in 2015, Shell is also only using two of the three available wells underground to hold the CO2.

“There’s maybe only a dozen of these projects in the world right now and to show that this one works at a commercial scale, a significant scale like we’re doing here, is just incredible evidence that Canadians are at the forefront of this technology,” said MacMillan.

The project is estimated to cost $1.35 billion over a 10 year period.

Funding was provided through both levels of government, receiving $120 million federally and $745 million provincially.

In the spring of this year Shell Canada was awarded the Association of Professional Engineers and Geoscientists (APEGA) Summit Award for environment and sustainability for the Quest project.