[keiths-list] SPP Sets North American Record for Wind Power - Renewable Energy World

  • From: Darryl McMahon <darryl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: keiths-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2017 09:51:58 -0500

http://www.renewableenergyworld.com/articles/pt/2017/02/spp-sets-north-american-record-for-wind-power.html

[Who else remembers when the North American utility companies said that putting more than 10% intermittent renewables generation on the grid would crash it? Hmmm, maybe not so much, really. And reliable, affordable grid-scale storage - now available off the shelf - is an enormous game-changer.]

SPP Sets North American Record for Wind Power

February 14, 2017

Southwest Power Pool set a wind-penetration record of *52.1 percent* at 4:30 a.m., Feb. 12, becoming the first regional transmission organization (RTO) in North America to serve more than 50 percent of its load at a given time with wind energy. The milestone beats a previous North American RTO record of 49.2 percent that SPP set April 24, 2016.

From the article: “Ten years ago, we thought hitting even a 25 percent wind-penetration level would be extremely challenging, and any more than that would pose serious threats to reliability,” SPP Vice President of Operations Bruce Rew said. “Since then, we’ve gained experience and implemented new policies and procedures. Now we have the ability to reliably manage greater than 50 percent wind penetration. It’s not even our ceiling. We continue to study even higher levels of renewable, variable generation as part of our plans to maintain a reliable and economic grid of the future.”