[keiths-list] New federal climate think tank looking for a road map to zero emissions | The Star

  • From: Darryl McMahon <darryl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: keiths-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jan 2020 21:27:13 -0500

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2020/01/21/new-federal-climate-think-tank-looking-for-a-road-map-to-zero-emissions.html

New federal climate think tank looking for a road map to zero emissions

By Mia RabsonThe Canadian Press

Tues., Jan. 21, 2020

OTTAWA—A new climate change think tank funded by the federal government says Canadians should expect to face the harsh realities of a changing climate even under the most aggressive global efforts to cut greenhouse gas emissions.

The $20-million Canadian Institute for Climate Choices officially launches Tuesday with an inaugural report warning Canada will not be able to avoid the global economic shifts that adapting to climate change will bring.

It also says change is coming whether the world shifts quickly to low and zero-emitting energy sources, or continues as it is and then also has to face the social, economic and environmental disruptions that ensue.

“I think there is no question that the game is changing,” said CEO Kathy Bardswick. “The realities of Canada’s position in the world, and how we’re going to ensure our prosperity going forward, is changing. How we provide value as a country is changing.”

The institute will be at arm’s length from the government but fulfils a 2018 federal budget commitment to hire outside experts to assess the government’s climate policies and provide advice on new options.

The institute has mainly a virtual existence, with staff and experts spread across the country conferring with each other mostly through various online platforms. The board has met in person twice thus far, and there was an opening summit in November where members met in regional groups.

The institute will produce at least three major reports a year across the three main areas of climate action: adapting to a lower-carbon reality, mitigating against the effects of a changing climate and developing and producing the clean technology needed for both of those things.

More than four dozen experts are on board to provide input, including former oil executive Dave Collyer, economist Don Drummond, and World Resources Institute climate resilience director Christina Chan, along with a who’s who of Canadian climate scientists and economic experts.

Note: new climate change website is now in pre-launch
Visit https://www.10n10.ca/e/index.shtml