[keiths-list] Metrolinx removes electric vehicle charging stations in GTA GO parking lots

  • From: Darryl McMahon <darryl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: keiths-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2019 18:04:17 -0500

https://mobilesyrup.com/2019/01/10/metrolinx-removes-electric-vehicle-charging-stations-gta-go-parking-lot/

[I presume that based on this logic, Metrolinx will begin removing parking spaces from their GO lots if they are being used less than once per day on average. After all, the parking spaces don't actually produce revenue.

Per GO Transit website: "Most GO stations offer customer parking. Visit the page for your station to see if it has parking. We offer free parking on a first-come, first-served basis. You can park in any space for a maximum of 48 hours. We also offer reserved parking in many of our parking lots for a monthly fee." (https://www.gotransit.com/en/trip-planning/getting-to-go accessed 2019-01-11)]

Metrolinx removes electric vehicle charging stations in GTA GO parking lots

Metrolinx says drivers were using the charging stations less than once per day on average

By Bradly Shankar

Jan 10, 2019

2:31 PM EST

Metrolinx has announced that it has removed its electric vehicle charging stations in GO station parking lots across the Greater Toronto Area.

The Toronto-based transit agency confirmed that 24 chargers were put out of service on November 21st, 2018. The stations were part of three-year pilot program kicked off by the previous Liberal government, although Metrolinx says usage has been low ever since.

In fact, Metrolinx says the chargers were used less than once per day on average.

“We found low demand for the charging stations, and the program’s costs were greater than any revenue,” reads a statement from Metrolinx. In his own written statement, NDP climate change critic Peter Tabuns blamed Ontario Premier Doug Ford for the charging station removal. “By ripping down electric vehicle charging stations that are already installed, Doug Ford is dragging Ontario backward and burning money,” wrote Tabuns. “This move sucks for drivers, it sucks for people considering buying an electric vehicle, it sucks for the environment, and it’s going to suck when we need to pay again to rebuild what Ford is tearing down,” he added. However, a Metrolinx spokesperson told CBC that the transit agency made the decision to shut down the chargers, not Ford’s government.