[keiths-list] Iowa’s first large-scale PV-plus-storage project installed at university, uses flow battery | Energy Storage News

  • From: Darryl McMahon <darryl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: keiths-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 11 Jan 2019 10:13:32 -0500

https://www.energy-storage.news/news/iowas-first-large-scale-pv-plus-storage-project-installed-at-university-use

[In my opinion, this sort of technology is why electric vehicle batteries are not going to become a mainstream source of energy storage for grid supply (vehicle-to-grid or V2G in the cute industry jargon).

1) It provides additional functions than grid supply (e.g., relatively inexpensive, long-term energy storage for intermittent zero-carbon sources).

2) It is available to the grid / system operator 24/7. It won't be stuck in traffic when the demand for power occurs.

3) It supports peak-shaving, so surplus power on the grid can be captured for later use.

4) It does not require 'negotiation' between an EV owner and the utility regarding selling price, at those infrequent times when utilities want to buy power from small, intermittent producers.

5) It does not require metering at vehicle charging points to record the amount of electricity put into the grid from a specific vehicle.

6) It does not require a massive financial verification and reconciliation system to figure out how much money is owed to a vehicle owner for a specific sale transaction, or changes to utility billing systems to reflect money going to a customer (this will be a HUGE deal for most utility billing systems).

7) It will be less expensive at a system level per kWh stored and retrieved than the depreciation of batteries used for V2G and the cost of the electricity the vehicle owner bought to charge the vehicle battery in the first place.

While I remain a V2G skeptic, I still see potential for V1G and V2B markets, mostly because they avoid the need for new metering and financial systems. V1G is the use of electric vehicles as sinks for electrical energy at times of low demand on the grid, helping utilities improve capacity factor on their infrastructure and lengthen the life of some system components, but not receiving electricity back from the vehicles. V2B is Vehicle to Building, where an EV battery is used to provide power to a building or house (aka V2H) in the event of a grid outage or grid request to reduce energy consumption at peak demand times.]

Iowa’s first large-scale PV-plus-storage project installed at university, uses flow battery

Fairfield, Iowa’s Maharishi University of Management has completed and powered up a new solar power plant in mid-December. Designed and installed by Ideal Energy, it is the first system of its kind developed within the mid-western US state.

The installation features both single-axis tracking and vanadium redox flow battery energy storage. The 1.1MW EXTracker NX Horizon single-axis tracking array uses motors and a predictive algorithm to rotate solar panels throughout the day, following the sun's path, generating around 15% more energy on a yearly basis than a fixed-tilt array of similar size. Nextracker NX Flow Avalon batteries are utilised at the site.

The project also includes a 1.05 MWh battery energy storage system, which helps to cut energy costs by peak shaving i.e. reducing the amount of power drawn from the grid at expensive peak times, which can significantly reduce non-residential electricity costs and has thus far been the biggest impetus in the US for commercial and industrial (C&I) energy storage deployment.

The university's new solar and storage power plant, along with two smaller PV arrays and a small wind turbine, will bring the university's renewable energy share to 43%. These installations will cover 33% of the campus’ total electrical needs.

Iowa congressman Dave Loebsack said: “One of the more exciting things about this particular project is the battery storage aspect. This is leading us to the point where solar can be part of our base load capacity. If we can not only generate electricity throughout the day, but also store it so that we could use solar energy 24 hours a day, then it is by definition part of base load. And that is really exciting."