[keiths-list] Connecting Energy Dots

  • From: Darryl McMahon <darryl@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: keiths-list@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2019 20:50:07 -0500

I expect it's just one of those odd coincidences that these two items hit my inbox today.

It's true that solar energy isn't a big producer in the Arctic for the 30 days on either side of the winter solstice. And therefore, long-term energy storage (weeks or even months) could be beneficial. Which is why the Vermont article is interesting.

However, life does offer some other options, so we don't have to settle for low-resilience singular solutions.

Most construction still doesn't scratch the surface of highly energy efficient (conservation) construction, as exemplified by PassivHaus and net-zero buildings demonstrate today. Factor-four and factor-five gains in energy use reduction go back 20 and 30 years that I know of.

For winter energy production, co-generation has a lot of merits. You need some heat energy anyway, so why not generate some electricity at the same time to get double benefit from the energy production? And the wind likely continues to blow even when it's dark outside. Seems to work in Kotzebue (AK), Eva Creek (AK), Unalakleet (AK), and the Diavik Diamond mine (NT), and the Glencore Raglan mine (QC), and Kodiak Island (AK), and Finland, and ...

For long-term energy storage, why not take a serious look at flow batteries which can generate 'charged' fluid (electrolyte) through the summer (up to 23 hours a day in the Arctic), and then use that stored fluid to generate electricity during the darker months? (e.g., see https://www.smart-energy.com/industry-sectors/storage/the-vanadium-redox-flow-battery-a-game-changer-for-energy-storage-safety/)

Darryl McMahon
Freelance Project Manager (sustainable systems)

Note: new climate change website is now in pre-launch
Visit https://www.10n10.ca/e/index.shtml