[kc-cfstudents] Re: Fw: Important - "Do NOT Open any emails you get from me if they look suspicious"

  • From: "M. Easton III" <dragondroppings@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: kc-cfstudents@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 1 Dec 2010 19:23:48 -0800 (PST)

Congrats Kay!  I'm soon to be going BACK to school.  It never ends.  :)

As for the original topic, here's another similar story:

About three or so months ago, I saw an old friend suddenly pop up on Yahoo IM
that I hadn't seen in some time.  Before I had a chance to say hello, she IM'd
me and said the usual "Hey, how are ya" etc.  Well, as soon as I responded
"fine", she told me about this test site that she scored X amount on and
wondered if I could do better.  And considering we were always competitive in
times past, I figured this was another competition and said "you're on".  She
replied OK and said she was off to take a shower, and got no further replies
from her as I was just trying to catch up for old time's sake.  Anywho, long
story short, the website was a scam that entrapped me into giving my cell #
(while I was a little iffy on giving it, I figured if she did it, it must be
ok), and then it stated that I would be regularly charged something like
$30/week (yes....per week) for using the testing service unless I opt out by
texting "opt out" (or something like it) to one of those 5-digit text-service
numbers.

Turns out my friend's IM account was hacked.  I called her up just after I
finished dealing with the website and she didn't know anything about chatting
with me online.  Soon, we were calling all of our mutual friends....4 other
people were tricked the same way: they thought the hacker was my friend Lucy.
wish I could remember what the website was, so that I could tell you all as a
warning.

Well folks, have a good one!  I'm off to bed...gotta teach tomorrow and Friday
(and somewhere in the process work on my Conference presentation.  I'm giving a
two-day wireless technologies presentation and a one-hour SSD forensics
seminar at the DoD CyberCrime Conference).

Good luck fixing your account Rebecca!

Later!
-Marty