[karc] Stirling Engine

  • From: Valveman <valveman_6146@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: karc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 3 Feb 2007 13:14:19 -0500 (EST)

At breakfast today we were discussing Stirling
Engines.  These are engines that run in a closed
system.  This means there is no combustion and are
propelled by a heat differential.

The Stirling Engine was invented by Dr. Stirling, a
Minister back in the early 1800s.  Although it has
seen some success over the years, it has been
overshadowed by the less efficient gasoline engine.

A Sirling Engine has an 80% efficiency in converting
heat into mechanical energy whereas a petrol engine is
around 30% at best.

New interest into the Stirling Engine has sparked new
designs that are used for power generation.  One such
design by Dean Kamen (the inventor of the Segway and
other medical inventions) may revolutionize the way we
generate electricity for our homes.  He has built a
large Stirling Engine and it rests in the middle of
his home.  He plans to use the Sun's energy to heat
his home.  Imagine the potential this would have in
third world countries.  In fact, these engines are
already being used in some of the poorer communities.

I have found a site on the Internet that sells a small
engine that will run from the heat of your hand.  I
decided to purchase one and am awaiting patiently for
it to arrive.

Have a look at the site and the various videos of each
machine.

http://www.stirlingengine.co.uk/index.html

Imagine if you could built a machine that could run
from the heat of the Sun during the day charging
batteries so you can enjoy Amateur Radio without every
being on the grid.

Robert
VE3RPF

http://mail.yahoo.com