[karc] North East Ontario Regional Directors Report for October, 2012

  • From: Terry Barrett - VA3KLG <t-barrett@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Kingston Amateur Radio Club <karc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 4 Oct 2012 22:00:01 -0400

North East Ontario Regional Directors Report for October, 2012

As you are probably aware, Radio Amateurs of Canada received a letter in
late September from the Hon. Robert Chiarelli the Minister of
Transportation confirming a five year extension starting January 1, 2013
and extending until January 1, 2018 regarding Bill 118, 2009. I would
like to thank all the groups, Organisations and NGO's from across
Ontario who sent in letters of support for our position. It was because
of those letters that when RAC presented our position to MTO Officials
we were able to convince them on the merit of our position. Only
Amateurs can provide a province wide communications infrastructure at no
cost to the taxpayer. Again thanks to all the folks who assisted in this
and RAC will continue to pursue a permanent exemption in the future.

I suspect there are none of us who don't dream of being on the other end
of a DX'pedition. Well for a Thunder Bay Amateur this will become a
reality in March 2013. Tom, VE3CX will be part of the Clipperton
DX'pedition as an operator. I have known Tom for a long time and
certainly wish him well, but not without a bit of envy. When I know more
I will update you all.

Since most of us won't be going to a rare location to operate the other
side of a pile up there is still an opportunity to be on the "receiving
end" especially here in North and East Ontario. Now that Ontario has
been divided into four sections in the upcoming ARRL Sweepstakes (among
many), I expect ONN and ONE will be wanted Sections. It's not too early
to start planning your participation in this contest. I am looking
forward to operating for the first time in this contest. Stay tuned for
more info next month.

In many parts of the province October 13, local groups will be
conducting Simulated Emergency Tests. Please contact your local ARES
Officials and offer your services. It's only through practice that we
become proficient. I would be pleased to receive a message from you or
your club via Amateur Radio.

The following weekend October 20^th and 21^st , will be Jamboree on the
Air (JOTA). This would be a great time to contact a local scout group
and be able to show them the great hobby we share.

Now that many clubs are in full swing again I would offer my
availability to speak to your club via Skype or other suitable program.
Obviously I cannot get to all the clubs, but certainly would be pleased
to talk via the web.

If you have any questions or concerns please email me at ve3xt@xxxxxx
<mailto:ve3xt@xxxxxx>.

Bill VE3XT