[karc] North East Ontario Regional Directors Report for Nov, 2012

  • From: Terry Barrett - VA3KLG <t-barrett@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Kingston Amateur Radio Club <karc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2012 21:56:54 -0400

North East Ontario Regional Directors Report for Nov, 2012

I would like to start this month's report highlighting those Amateurs
who have stepped up to be Assistant Directors. Due to the size of North
East Ontario I will never be able to visit all the corners of the
region. That is why I rely on the AD's to represent RAC across the
region. One long time AD has decided to take a bit of a hiatus and I
especially want to thank Roy Brockelbank, VE3FOD for his assistance and
help over the last 5 years. Thank you Roy. I also want to thank Dave
Hayes, VE3JX for stepping in and being the AD for the SSM area. I also
wish to say congratulations to another AD, Al Boyd, VE3AJB who recently
received an Accolade from his employer the OPP. In a press release the
OPP states in part, "Manitoulin Island Ontario Provincial Police's
longest-serving full-time member has been recognized with an OPP
Accolade award for his dedication to the service. The Accolade award
recognizes an individual whose actions and behaviours demonstrate and/or
exceed commitment to the OPP and their communities". Having met Al and
his family I can also attest he is very deserving of this award.
Congratulations Al.

The RAC Directors and Executive will be having our annual Strategic
Planning sessions this month. This is where we determine where RAC
should be going. But the most important part of this is to hear from
YOU. Yes the membership, do you have ideas on the future or RAC as it is
your organisation. If you have a comment please send me an email.

RAC has asked for and received legal advice on the Distracted Driving
Legislation standing now that the Ontario Government has been suspended.
We were advised this will have no effect on the status of the
legislation and our five year extension remains. However I still suggest
that you use caution when operating mobile.

As mentioned in last month's report the ARRL Sweepstakes goes this month
with the CW portion on November 3^rd to the 5^th and the Phone test
going on the 17^th to the 19^th . Now that Ontario has 4 sections and
few contesters the sections ONN and ONE will be much sought after. Even
if you're not a contester this is a great way to work some new states or
get that last province you need in the log. I don't have room here to
list all the rules so here is a link to the ARRL site:
_http://www.arrl.org/sweepstakes_

If I was operating QRP here is what I would send when responding to
VA3RAC: "VA3RAC 001 Q VE3XT 70 ONN". It translates as I am working
VA3RAC, he is my first QSO and I am running QRP, my callsign is VE3XT, I
was first licensed in 1970 and my section is Ontario North". Hope to
work you in this one.

If you have any questions or concerns please email me at _ve3xt@xxxxxx
<mailto:ve3xt@xxxxxx>_.

Bill VE3XT