[karc] KARC list server

  • From: Phil Somers <pwsomers@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: KARC FreeList <karc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 15:21:59 -0800 (PST)

Based on the ongoing concern by some of us with the KARC Freelist being
available to the whole world, I had a look at alternatives. I have a  Google
account for G-mail and other Google projects. As an experiment, I  set up a
prototype KARC Google Group that does exactly what the  Freelist does, but is
totally private. It can offer more than we  currently use on the Freelist, but
it can be limited to exactly  duplicate the current Freelist service. It
provides for administrators  as well as the manager like Freelists does.

We may not want to fix something that isn't broken. But I suggest we consider
Google Groups as an alternative to the Freelist that would provide for a
private
system.

I am willing to  volunteer to manage a KARC Google Group if there is a desire
move to a  private system. Or Rob or someone else can do it if they want to.

The decision is up to Rob and the Freelist users. If there is a wish to
consider
this change, then I suggest we first try  it out between a very small number of
users to confirm that it works ok.

I personally am willing to contribute more to a KARC list server, but not if
our
contributions are published on the Freelist web site.

... Phil VE3HST