[karc] Fwd: ARRL Contest Rate Sheet for 2008-03-19 (March 19, 2008)

  • From: Tom <ve3udo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: karc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 10:04:22 -0400

Subject: ARRL Contest Rate Sheet for 2008-03-19 (March 19, 2008)
To: <ve3udo@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
CC: Subscribed ARRL Members:;
From: "ARRL Web site" <memberlist@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Mar 2008 01:20:01 -0400 (EDT)

SUMMARY
o CQ WPX SSB -- Keep The ITU Chart Handy!
o Fred Fish W5FF Award
o Prop and SPLAT!
o Power on HC8
o Unhand that Key!
o Getting It Together on the Tower
o Controlling Control Cables
o We Shall See

NEW HF OPERATORS - THINGS TO DO
o Time to put your new call sign prefix to work in the WPX SSB
contest.  Just keep track of your serial number and you, too, can be
the quarry instead of just another hound!

BULLETINS
o No bulletins in this issue.

BUSTED QSOS
o A golden issue last time!

CONTEST SUMMARY (Rules follow Commentary section)

March 22-23
- Lighthouse Spring Lites QSO Party (Mar 20-30)
- BARTG Spring RTTY Contest
March 29-30
- CQ WPX SSB Contest

Rather a light crop, isn't it?

--o- ooo - --o- ooo - --o- ooo -  -oo o
NEWS, PRESS RELEASES, AND GENERAL INTEREST
- oooo o   o-o o- - o   ooo oooo o o - -o-

ARRL Contest Branch Manager, Sean KX9X writes to let us know, "The
ARRL is pleased to announce a new VHF achievement award in the name
of Fred Fish, W5FF (SK). This award <http://www.arrl.org/awards/ffma>
honors Fred's singular achievement of working and confirming all 488
grid squares in the 48 contiguous United States on 6 meters. We hope
this award will help promote activity on 6 meters and encourage the
activation of rare grid squares, DXpedition-style."

The Mother Lode Contest Club (MLDXCC) announces the 9th Annual
Contest Dinner on Friday April 25 - at the International DX
Convention in Visalia, CA (hosted by the Mother Lode DX and Contest
Club.) Wayne Burdick, N6KR, co-founder of Elecraft and principal
designer of the Elecraft K3, will be speaking on "Contest Ergonomics
and the Elecraft K3." Advance reservation and payment are required
this year. For all of the details and to sign up, please visit:
<http://mldxcc.com/contestdinner2008.html> (Thanks, Jeff WK6I)

If you missed WB8IMY's "Eclectic Technology" column in the March
issue of QST (page 95), take another look.  The PropNet project
<http://propnet.org> is a great tool for determining what band is
actually open to where.  All those beacon stations out there, to
mis-quote "Eleanor Rigby", "Who are they for?"  Well, by observing
and publishing reception reports on the Web, they're now a lot easier
to be used by contesters, that's who.  True, the network doesn't
operate below 30 meter and not at all on 20 and 15, but it does
bracket those bands nicely. (Thanks, Tim K3LR)

And there's more about this propagation testing stuff, as Larry W7IUV
checks in. "Most of you are aware of the WSJT software suite written
by K1JT for use on the VHF/UHF bands. Joe has just provided a new
software package called WSPR ("whisper") intended for use on HF as a
QRP beacon/propagation tool.
<http://physics.princeton.edu/pulsar/K1JT/WSPR_Announcement.TXT> It
uses one of the newer JT modes (JT4) and can be set up for VHF/UHF
path analysis. Unlike normal beacons, it will also listen for other
WSPR beacons on the same frequency!"  Don't you just love checking
out sites like "physics.princeton.edu"?

Although it started on March 7th - definitely check out the NCCC
Sprint Ladder (NSL). NSL is a series of fast-paced contests that run
for a half hour on Thursday and limited to 100 watts. The complete
schedule is on-line at <http://tinyurl.com/yqdve2>. (Thanks, Howie
N4AF)

The ARRL internet surfer, WA1LOU, has posted an interesting summary
<http://www.arrl.org/news/features/2008/03/07/10006> of a Web page
called SPLAT! <http://cs.ecok.edu/~bw/SPLAT/> SPLAT! calculates path
loss for frequencies from 20 MHz to 20 GHz. You input your location,
antenna height, and frequency and it calculates a regional coverage
pattern for you using the Longley-Rice Irregular terrain model and
assuming vertical polarization.  It's a local coverage program and
should be a good tool in the rover's planning kit. Each plot takes a
few minutes to generate and you must enter your station's lat/long
with some precision. Another freeware on-line alternative is Radio
Mobile at
<http://www.cplus.org/rmw/english1.html> (Thanks, Jim KK6MC and Ron
WZ1V)

Contest Club Finland's PileUP! Is available on-line at
<http://www.helsinki.fi/~korpela/PU/PU.html>. Its 36 pages include
pictures from CCF-events, a detective story, full report from the
Canary Islands,  greetings from YU8, BY and FO/m. WPX records in OH,
CCF humor, WAV-audio files for pileup contests in phone and CW for
you to test your skills, and much more. (Thanks, Ilkka OH1WZ)

The ARRL's Web guru, Jon KE3Z, points out that publishing PDF
documents on the Issuu Web site <http://www.issuu.com> makes your
document unsearchable by online search engines and internally --
probably not so good -- among other things.  So you might want to
"try before you fly" with a real document.

At this weekend's Mike and Key hamfest in Puyallup, WA (bonus points
for proper pronunciation of "Puyallup") I spent some time scanning
the dozens of bins filled with the many useful adapters, cables,
gadgets, and radio gewgaws of Wired Communications of Scottsdale, AZ
<http://www.wiredco.com>.  Yes, this hobby is surely wireless!
Regardless, West Coast hams can look for this electronics fireworks
stand at hamfests this season.

URL of the Week - The next time you work HC8N, their signal may be