[karc] A Club Blog (was Repeater broadcast to the whole world)

  • From: Steve Cutway <ve3kc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: karc@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Apr 2011 11:45:00 -0400

Hello Dan:

The idea of a moderated blog has been considered in the past and not
implemented because no one was willing to moderate it. I also have
some concerns that also apply to this list. When does moderation
become censorship? I could, for example, make this list a moderated
list with all messages approved by one or more moderators. There
might be those who would favour such an approach. But when does that
approach become censorship rather than moderation? If I were to adopt
it, I would want to be sure that I had moderators with differing
viewpoints. For example, I would invite Phil to be one. So the
capability exists using the current technology. I also don't believe
that the majority of KARC members are bloggers. Social networking
seems to be very much generational, Facebook possibly being the
exception. This audience seems to favour the 'push' approach to the 'pull' one.

If you haven't done so yet, you might want to take a look at the web
forum that Assaf set up on the Club web site:
http://www.ve3kbr.com/forum/index.php
I personally have web access issues interacting with it using a
screen reader which also apply to blogs so I'm less likely to use
such technologies. Twitter, on the other hand, is completely
accessible using a screen reader.

Cheers & 73s,

Steve VE3KC