[KACT] Re: kact Digest V2 #8

  • From: "Janice Crowley" <jpcrowley@xxxxxxx>
  • To: <kact@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 15 Jan 2006 14:18:30 -0600

In reply to the help needed on Stoichiometry. I use a double pan balance placed on my teacher demo desk. I then get out a set of plastic chips I purchased from Delta Education or one of the math catalogs. The plastic chips are blue and red colors represents 1 g and 5 grams respectively. I have the students help me make water from hydrogen and oxygen. I place a blue chip on the left pan to represent hydrogen and then prod them to remember it is diatomic so I need to double the chip. I do the same with oxygen. Then I ask what should the right pan have. They tell me two blue chips and one red. I put that on and they see it is not balanced so then they tell me to repeat another two blue and one red on the right. When I do that it is too heavy on the right side so then they see that I need to add two more blue chips on the left side. I write these steps on the chalkboard as well as we go. They really understand this. Then I ask them to half the reaction and they help me do that and then it is balanced on the pans and then on the chalkboard. Then I write the molar mass of each underneath the elements and compounds and show that the left side again is equal to the right side. My students like this demo and do very well on the stoichiometry portion of the ACS tests.
However, this alone does not make them successful. I really have changed the order I do chapters (different than the texts) and that has made the difference in the grasp of all the concepts leading up to stoichiometry.
Good luck with this. Diane Warren and I will be presenting at NSTA in Annaheim "Return of Survivor: Tips and Techniques to help Chemistry Teachers Navigate through the Educational Jungle" - this will have a lot more information.

Janice
----- Original Message ----- From: <kact@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
From: "Trina Adams" <tadams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [KACT] lodging for conference
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 07:51:46 -0600

I'm planning on coming down the Friday night before the conference.  Does
anyone have suggestions on where to stay?

Trina Adams

tadams@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Chemistry/Physics

Marysville High School

785 562 5386

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 08:24:29 -0600
From: "London Reif" <lreif@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [KACT] help!!

Okay everyone I need some help here!

We are to the stoichiometry chapter in chemistry.  I tried to introduce
the chapter by putting a recipe on the board and asking how much of each
ingredient we would need to double the recipe, half the recipe, and so
on.  Then I tried to use the same analogy to move to chemical
equations.

So far we have talked about mole-mole problems, and mass-mass problems.
Some students still cannot make the transition from the recipe idea to
the chemical equation idea.

How do you all introduce it? Do you have any little tricks to help the
students better understand the concept?  Thanks for your input.

London Reif
Hoisington High School

------------------------------

From: "Bohler,Nancy" <nbohler@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [KACT] Re: lodging for conference
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:39:25 -0600

Trina. It depends on how much you want to spend. It can run from a nice
motel in Haysville at a moderate price to the Marriott on the East side of
Wichita. What did you have in mind and I can email you some info.. N bohler

nbohler@xxxxxxxxxx

 _____

Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 08:04:33 -0800 (PST)
From: Kelly Deters <kellymdeters@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [KACT] Re: help!!

I, too, use the recipe example...so I can't give much help with a different approach.

For limiting reactants, I use the "sandwhich" example. If it takes 2 pieces of bread, 2 piece of cheese and 3 pieces of meat to have a sandwhich, how many sandwiches can you make if you have...(and then give a bunch of examples). Or you can use the brat example (brats come in packages of 5, hot dog buns in packages of 8...what's the limiting reactant). Those two have cleared up limiting reactants for most any student I've explained them to...but that's assuming you've already worked through the "muck" of stoichioemtry to begin with.

 Maybe somebody will have another idea.

 Kelly
 detersk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

---------------------------------
Yahoo! Photos

------------------------------

From: "Bohler,Nancy" <nbohler@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 10:05:57 -0600

For the limiting factor I use the "S'Mores" approach.  The kids really get
into that one.. N

_____

I, too, use the recipe example...so I can't give much help with a different
approach.

For limiting reactants, I use the "sandwhich" example. If it takes 2 pieces
of bread, 2 piece of cheese and 3 pieces of meat to have a sandwhich, how
many sandwiches can you make if you have...(and then give a bunch of
examples). Or you can use the brat example (brats come in packages of 5,
hot dog buns in packages of 8...what's the limiting reactant). Those two
have cleared up limiting reactants for most any student I've explained them
to...but that's assuming you've already worked through the "muck" of
stoichioemtry to begin with.

Maybe somebody will have another idea.

Kelly

detersk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

 _____

Yahoo! Photos
Got holiday prints? See
<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/holidayprints/*http:/pa.yahoo.com/*
http:/us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/photos/evt=38089/*http:/pg.photos.yah
oo.com/ph/print_splash>  all the ways to get quality prints in your hands
ASAP.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 08:08:20 -0800 (PST)
From: Kelly Deters <kellymdeters@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [KACT] Student scholarship

With the discussion of the shirts, etc., Robert proposed that it be used to raise funds. I thought it would be a great idea to raise funds for a student scholarship. Then Robert generously suggested that his Law Practice would be willing to make a donation to supplement such a scholarship. So perhaps with some of the membership fee money (other than what's needed for other things), some from T-shirts and some from other donations, would could offer a scholarship for a student studying chemistry.

What does everyone think of the idea of having students write an essay on why they'd like to study chemistry and what they hope to do with it and then have a committee select a winner? We could send a letter to every high school and announce the scholarship...that way students from all high schools would have the opportunity...not just those with teachers that are members.

 Kelly
 detersk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

---------------------------------
Yahoo! Photos

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 10:11:41 -0600
From: "London Reif" <lreif@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [KACT] Re: Student scholarship

By sending a letter to every school we give all students a chance to
participate, and it gets our name out to the public.  Any ideas on how
we would select committee members? Would we do it on a volunteer basis?
Have one or two people from each region?  I like the idea.

kellymdeters@xxxxxxxxx 1/13/2006 10:08 am >>>

--------------------------------- Yahoo! Photos Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars. Add photos, events, holidays, whatever.

------------------------------

From: "Bohler,Nancy" <nbohler@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 10:13:25 -0600

One of the things I use to teach Stoichiometry is the three step method:
          1)  Go for the moles! (change all quantities to moles)

          2) Compare (compare the moles given to the moles wanted)

          3) Go Back! (change the quantities back to the units wanted)

I have a cheer that I do for the kids called Go For the Moles!!!! .. Man!.
Once they have seen a old, fat lady to that cheer, . they DO NOT forget it.
( I have kids coming back from college telling me when they started stoich
in college, the memory of that cheer all came flooding back to haunt them.
Ha!) I don't know if that will help any... N

 _____

From: "Bohler,Nancy" <nbohler@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 10:14:10 -0600

I think this is a terrific idea. N

_____

[...]

<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/photos/*http:/pa.yahoo.com/*http:/u
s.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/photos/evt=38087/*http:/pg.photos.yahoo.com/
ph/page?.file=calendar_splash.html&.dir=>  Calendars. Add photos, events,
holidays, whatever.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 10:13:48 -0600
From: "Stockam, Angela" <adiskin@xxxxxxxxxx>

I use the recipe example also.  But, before at the very beginning of the
unit I have the students read the "Stoichiometry Fairytale Kingdom."
Sometimes I have them work in groups and build a model of the kingdom
that is described in the fairytale and sometimes I have them make a
painting of it.  The fairytale is great because it helps them sequence
in their minds the process of doing mass-mass calculations.

After they have the story in their mind - the calculations don't seem so
ominous to them - then I introduce the recipe analogy.

________________________________

Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 08:17:43 -0800 (PST)
From: Kelly Deters <kellymdeters@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [KACT] Nancy cheering

I think Nancy should demonstrate that cheer to us all at the conference. A visual will definetly help! :)

 Kelly

---------------------------------
Yahoo! Photos

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 08:22:52 -0800 (PST)
From: Kelly Deters <kellymdeters@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [KACT] Stoichiometry Fairy Tale

Angela, could you send a copy of that fairy tale...I'd like to see it (and I could put it on the webpage as well).
Kelly
detersk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

---------------------------------
Yahoo! Photos

------------------------------

From: "Bohler,Nancy" <nbohler@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [KACT] Re: Nancy cheering
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 10:28:10 -0600

We don't want things to get "ugly" at the conference.. N

_____

Date: 13 Jan 2006 10:42:06 -0600
From: David Kadavy <dkadavy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>

Try using money. Give three students each a $5 bill and two students a $=
1 bill. Tell them this is a synthesis reaction so they are to get =
together to purchase a six dollar item. Ask them if it is the $5 bill or =
the $1 bill that limits how many items( the synthesis product) they can =
buy together. They tend to understand money. This in some sense helps =
them to understand stoichiometry and the proportions.

David Kadavy

On 1/13/2006 10:04 AM, Kelly Deters <kellymdeters@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I, too, use the recipe example...so I can't give much help with a=20 different approach. =A0 For limiting reactants, I use the "sandwhich" example.=A0 If it takes=20 2 pieces of bread,=A02 piece of cheese and 3 pieces of meat to have=20 a sandwhich, how many sandwiches can you make if you have...(and=20 then give a bunch of examples).=A0 Or you can use the brat example=20 (brats come in packages of 5, hot dog buns in packages of 8...what's=20 the limiting reactant).=A0 Those two have cleared up limiting reactants=20 for most any student I've explained them to...but that's assuming=20 you've already worked through the "muck" of stoichioemtry to begin=20 with. =A0 Maybe somebody will have another idea. =A0 Kelly detersk@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx =A0 Yahoo! Photos Got holiday prints? See all the ways <http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/=
taglines/holidayprints/*http://pa.yahoo.com/*http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_=
us/taglines/photos/evt=3D38089/*http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph//print_=
splash>=20

Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 09:03:18 -0800 (PST)
From: Kelly Deters <kellymdeters@xxxxxxxxx>

I think the committee including people from each region is an important idea! Thanks!
Kelly

---------------------------------
Yahoo! Photos - Showcase holiday pictures in hardcover
Photo Books. You design it and we'll bind it!

------------------------------

Subject: [KACT] Re: Stoichiometry Fairy Tale
Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 13:46:12 -0600
From: "Stockam, Angela" <adiskin@xxxxxxxxxx>

Sure!  I attached a copy of it to this!

________________________________

Ring in the New Year with Photo Calendars
<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/photos/*http://pa.yahoo.com/*ht
tp://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail_us/taglines/photos/evt=3D38087/*http://pg.photo=
.yahoo.com/ph//page?.file=3Dcalendar_splash.html&.dir=3D> . Add photos,
events, holidays, whatever.

-- Type: application/msword
-- File: A Stoichiometry Fairytale.doc
-- Desc: A Stoichiometry Fairytale.doc