[k3] Helping Katrina's Survivors

  • From: Glovely@xxxxxxx
  • To: k3@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 14:10:16 EDT

Hello,

As a resident of Houston Texas I see everyday evidence of the hugeness of
Katrina's wake. So many people are grappling with how to help and what to  do.

Imagine a world without books -- so many books have been ruined by water,
washed away by flooding, blown away with the winds -- donating books to
schools,
 shelters and even families is such a powerful gift.

There is a charity called First Book which works year round to help be
certain that children from impoverished homes have NEW books of their very
own...
now in this time of great need First Books is also helping put books back
into the hands of children (and adults) in the stricken areas of the
Southeastern United States.

First Book (_www.FirstBook.org_ (http://www.FirstBook.org) ) is a
well-respected charity, earning top rankings from Forbes and Charity Navigator
as well.
(One thing this means is more than 98% goes into program, not into
administration and fundraising.)

They are asking for monetary donations and list on their site that $250
would provide a classroom library for a displaced class, $100 would provide
books
for children in a shelter and $50 would send children from one family home
with "an armload of books".

Perhaps if you do book orders with your students they could each donate the
cost of one book and that could be donated to First books, or a bake sale or
"read-a-thon" could raise money....

Just thought I would share this idea with all of you --

Warmly,

Gail Lovely
independent educator