[ECP] SCIENCE Educational CyberPlayGround K12 Newsletter Resources

  • From: Educational CyberPlayGround <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: K12NewsLetters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2007 13:31:06 -0400

Howdy,

Happy Reading for today.

best,
<Karen>

1)
ScienceResearch.com
http://www.scienceresearch.com
This site is "a free, publicly available web portal allowing access to numerous
scientific journals and public science databases." Search for materials in the
topics of astronomy, biology, chemistry, computers, environmental sciences,
engineering, health and medicine, materials science, mathematics, physics,
and social sciences.

2)
Hilton Pond 03-22-07 (Yellowbelly Turtles)
http://www.hiltonpond.org/ThisWeek070322.html
We got lots of feedback about our recent "Signs of Spring"
installment--especially our comments about Yellowbelly Sliders
sunning on a fallen tree--so "This Week at Hilton Pond" we're
revisiting the turtle topic.
The photo essay for 22-31 March includes numerous close-up photos
of Yellowbelly Sliders, hints for how to sex them, and questions
about their eyes and "turtle flies."
As always, we include a tally of all birds banded or recaptured.
This week's installment also includes numerous phenology notes--such
as our first Ruby-throated Hummingbird of the season--and a photo of
a principal cause of pollen in the Piedmont.

3)
GeoData
http://gos2.geodata.gov/wps/portal/gos
Your One Stop for Finding and Using Geographic Data
Find Data or Map Services
Make a Map
Browse Community Information
Cooperate on Data Acquisitions

4)
Apollo 13, We Have a Solution
http://www.spectrum.ieee.org/apr05/2697
This detailed 2005 article describes how saving the Apollo 13 spaceship,
which was launched on April 11, 1970, and returned to earth on April 17, 1970,
after a forced cancellation of its lunar mission, was the result of years of preparation,
not a hurried improvisation. Includes background about the spacecraft,
technical problems, and the important role of prior emergency simulations.
From IEEE Spectrum magazine, published by Institute of Electrical
and Electronics Engineers(IEEE).

5)
Space Travel - Mission Control
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Music/spacetravel.html

PLEASE ADD YOUR K12 SCHOOL OR SCHOOL DISTRICT
TO THE  MASTER DIRECTORY OF SCHOOLS ONLINE
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/schools/

The registry is organized by state and by grade level.
The registry also includes sites for charter Schools, virtual schools,
school districts, state and regional education organizations, state
departments of education, state standards and state administrators.

6)
Young Americans Have Fallen In Love With Streaming Video,
Thanks To YouTube And Other Video File Sharing Websites
http://www.ipsos-na.com/news/pressrelease.cfm?id=3424

7)
What do you know about how to stream a video?
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Technology/streaming.html

8)
Who do you integrate technology (science) into the classroom?
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Technology/HowToIntegrateTech.html

9)
Where are the search engines for kids? and what should you
know about searching them?
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Internet/search.html

9)
How young is too young to be using computers?
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Technology/tooyoung.html

10)
What do these crazy kids need to know about their ears?
Cause they are going to go deaf from loud music.
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Music/ears.html

<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>
The Educational CyberPlayGround
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/

National Children's Folksong Repository
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/NCFR/

Net Happenings, K12 Newsletters, Network Newsletters
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/

7 Hot Site Awards
New York Times, USA Today , MSNBC, Earthlink,
USA Today Best Bets For Educators, Macworld Top Fifty