  • From: Gleason Sackmann <gleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: K12Newsletters <k12newsletters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 10:31:38 -0600

K12NewsLetters - From Educational CyberPlayGround
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/

Date: Thu, 25 Mar 2004 11:14:07 -0500 (EST)
From: teacherpreviews@xxxxxxx
To: gleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: PBS Teacher Previews: March 28 - April 4, 2004

PBS Teacher Previews: March 28 - April 4, 2004
Welcome to PBS Teacher Previews, the weekly newsletter from PBS designed
specifically for preK-12 educators.

Times listed are for PRAIRIE PUBLIC TELEVISION.
To change your local PBS station, please visit your "My Profile" area on
PBS Teachersource : http://www.pbs.org/teachersource/preferences/

The resources listed below are grouped into subject areas that correlate
with those found on PBS TeacherSource (http://pbs.org/teachersource/),
PBS's Web site for preK-12 educators. Grade level, resource type and
extended taping rights codes are also indicated for each listing.

To make the most effective use of this publication, please consult the
"Teacher Code Key" at the end of this document.

Note: Please always check with your local PBS station for a complete
schedule of exact dates and times for PBS television programs. PBS television
schedules are created at the local level, so some national programs may not be
available in your area. All PBS programs listed in this newsletter allow for
off-air
  taping and subsequent classroom usage of one year or more. For complete
details, please visit the TV For Teachers section of PBS TeacherSource
at http://pbs.org/teachersource/tvteachers.htm

ARTS AND LITERATURE
American Family
"La Casa"
TV> PBSOL>
High School
Join the entire Gonzalez family as they get together to paint
and refresh their house. As they remove photos and memorabilia
from the walls, they remember their years as a young family and
the struggle to maintain a comforting home through thick and
thin. (CC, Stereo, 1 year)

Download a lesson plan designed to strengthen your students'
communication skills by exploring multimedia storytelling.

http://www.pbs.org/americanfamily

Exxonmobil Masterpiece Theatre
"My Uncle Silas II"
TV> PBSOL>
High School
Sunday, March 28, 2004
9:00 - 11:00 PM
Albert Finney stars as rustic rapscallion Uncle Silas in five
sketches from the charming country tales of H.E. Bates. (CC,
Stereo, DVI, 1 year)

Log on to find out why H.E. Bates has been described as
Britain's successor to Chekhov.

http://www.pbs.org/masterpiece/silas/index.html

Antiques Roadshow
"Savannah" (part one of three)
TV> PBSOL>
Middle / High School
Monday, March 29, 2004
7:00 - 8:00 PM
Tune into "Roadshow" and find out how a charming folk art
pastel, of a child with a dog, could be worth almost $45,000.
(CC, Stereo, 1 year)

Got furniture? The "Roadshow" is looking for a few fine pieces
of furniture for this summer's tour! Log on to find out if
yours fits the bill.

http://www.pbs.org/roadshow

American Family
"The Wedding"
TV> PBSOL>
High School
Sunday, April 11, 2004
2:00 - 3:00 PM
Don't miss the second season premiere of this acclaimed drama
series! In this episode, you're invited to Ofelia and Esteban's
wedding reception at the Gonzalez home in East L.A. (CC,
Stereo, 1 year)

Come back on March 29th for a brand new season two Web site,
including information about the cast, new episodes and your
chance to visit a virtual health fair. Plus, start your own PBS
Program Club and get the conversation started with your
friends, family and co-workers.

http://www.pbs.org/americanfamily

Exxonmobil Masterpiece Theatre
"Daniel Deronda" (part one)
TV> PBSOL>
High School
Sunday, April 04, 2004
9:00 - 10:30 PM
Combine two of the most captivating and enigmatic characters in
Victorian literature, the world's most successful television
screenwriter and a glittering cast of Britain's finest
actors... the result is Andrew Davies' mesmerizing adaptation
of George Eliot's emotionally intense masterpiece. (CC, Stereo,
DVI, 1 year)

Download a teacher's guide with suggested before and after
viewing questions as well as classroom activities and
investigations.

http://www.pbs.org/masterpiece/deronda/index.html

This Week's PBS Video for Educators
"Ken Burns: Mark Twain"
Video>
Middle / High School

This remarkable film tells the story of Twain's extraordinary
life - full of rollicking adventure, stupendous success and
crushing defeat, hilarious comedy and almost unbearable
tragedy. To purchase a copy of this set of 2 VHS tapes, see:

http://www.shop.pbs.org/teachers/MKTWDX1

HEALTH AND FITNESS
A Science Odyssey
Lesson: "Human Behavior: In Search of Ourselves"
PBSOL>
High School

In this lesson students examine factors that can increase or
decrease short-term memory.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/aso/resources/guide/humact4index.html

Evolution
Lesson: "Why Does Evolution Matter Now?"
PBSOL>
High School

Use this lesson to investigate the growing problem of
antibiotic resistance and how evolution can help solve problems
in medicine, agriculture and the environment.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/evolution/educators/lessons/lesson6/index.html

MATH
NewsHour Extra
Lesson: "Are Colleges Still Affordable"
PBSOL>
High School

Students use a mathematical model to investigate college debt
as an investment in their future.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/extra/teachers/lessonplans/math/tuition.html

The Living Edens
Lesson: "Wild Weather -- Patagonian Style"
PBSOL>
Middle School

Students research drastic changes in Patagonia's temperature
and chart results.

http://www.pbs.org/edens/patagonia/twldweat.htm

SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Nature
"Ireland"
TV> PBSOL> MARC>
Elementary / Middle / High School
Sunday, March 28, 2004
8:00 - 9:00 PM
Sculpted millions of years ago by the advance and retreat of
vast shields of ice, the Emerald Isle harbors a wealth of
wildlife among its craggy mountains, fog-shrouded coastlines,
steep gorges and vast networks of inland waterways. Join
"Nature" for this exploration of the modern-day legacy of
Ireland's ice-bound past. (CC, Stereo, DVI, 1 year)

Take a virtual tour of Ireland at the companion Web site.

http://www.pbs.org/nature/ireland/index.html
(Available March 26, 2004)

NOVA
"Hunt for the Supertwister"
TV> PBSOL> MARC>
Middle / High School
Tuesday, March 30, 2004
8 - 9:00 pm
Join "NOVA" during one of the worst tornado seasons on record,
as they chase tornados across the Midwest, capturing
hair-raising footage of highly destructive twisters in action.
Don't miss this chance for a front-row seat to the risky and
thrilling art of storm chasing. (CC, Stereo, DVI, 1 year)

Log onto washingtonpost.com/liveonline on March 31 at 11 am to
discuss the program with Dr. Kelvin K. Droegemeier, director at
the Center for Analysis and Prediction of Storms (CAPS).

http://www.pbs.org/nova/tornado

SOCIAL STUDIES
The New Americans
"Episode 1"
TV> PBSOL> MARC>
Middle / High School
Monday, March 29, 2004
8:00 - 10:00 PM
 >From the makers of "Hoop Dreams" comes "The New Americans," a
seven-hour documentary miniseries that follows the journey of
new immigrants and refugees as they travel from their homelands
to the United States. They come from Nigeria, India, the
Dominican Republic, the West Bank and Mexico in search of a
better life and the American Dream. (CC, Stereo, 1 year)

Start your own PBS Program Club and talk about what perceptions
or misperceptions about immigrants this series confirmed or
dispelled for you.

http://www.pbs.org/newamericans

The New Americans
"Episode 2"
TV> PBSOL>
Middle / High School
Tuesday, March 30, 2004
8:00 - 10:00 PM
This two-hour episode shows how the subjects struggle in
differing ways and degrees to leave their countries of origin
and then grapple with the initial culture shock of being in the
United States. The second hour of the program introduces Pedro
Flores, a Mexican meatpacker living in Liberal, Kansas, as he
returns home to see his large, gregarious family on their ranch
outside of Guanajuato. (CC, Stereo, 1 year)

Log onto washingtonpost.com/liveonline for a discussion with
the series producer, Gita Saedi, on March 30 at 11 am.

http://www.pbs.org/newamericans

The New Americans
"Episode 3"
TV> PBSOL>
Middle / High School
Wednesday, March 31, 2004
8:00 - 11:00 PM
The three-hour final episode continues to record the ups and
downs of the individuals introduced in the previous programs
and incorporates the story of Anjan, an Indian computer
programmer, and his wife, Harshani, and their adjustment to
life in the U.S. (CC, Stereo, 1 year)

Download a lesson plan where students conduct oral histories of
first- or second- generation immigrants to learn first hand
about the immigration experience.

http://www.pbs.org/newamericans

National Geographic Special
"Whales in Crisis"

Middle / High School
Wednesday, March 31, 2004
7:00 - 8:00 PM
Travel with National Geographic from the arctic to the Florida
keys to meet a new generation of whale fanatics -- men and
women dedicated to studying, saving and preserving the world's
remaining population of whales. (CC, Stereo, 1 year)

Frontline
"Ghosts of Rwanda"
TV> PBSOL> MARC>
Middle / High School
Thursday, April 01, 2004
8:00 - 10:00 PM
"Frontline" marks the 10th anniversary of the Rwandan genocide
with a documentary chronicling one of the worst atrocities of
the 20th century. This film illustrates the social, political
and diplomatic failures that enabled the slaughter of 800,000
people to occur unabated and unchallenged by the global
community. (CC, Stereo, 1 year)

Educators can download a teacher's guide at the companion Web
site.

http://www.pbs.org/frontline/shows/ghosts

NOW With Bill Moyers
TV> PBSOL>
Middle / High School
Friday, April 02, 2004
8:00 - 9:00 PM
Join Bill Moyers and NPR reporters for documentary reporting,
in-depth interviews and articulate commentary. (CC, Stereo, 1
year)

Download the "Political Analysis Through Satire" lesson plan
for social studies, civics, language arts, visual arts and
theater classes, grades 9-12.

http://www.pbs.org/now

Lost Liners
"Episode 2"
TV> PBSOL>
Elementary / Middle / High School
In the final installment of this underwater exploration series,
Bob Ballard uncovers some of the mystery behind the sinking of
the Lusitania. Why is it that so few people are aware of the
sinking of The Empress of Ireland? Only two years prior to the
sinking of the Titanic and with a larger loss of life, this
ocean liner's demise is widely unknown. (CC, Stereo, 1 year)

Download a lesson plan where students act as an "international
board of inquiry" to determine fault and responsibility for the
sinking of the Lusitania.

http://www.pbs.org/lostliners

By the People
"Election 2004"
PBSOL>
Elementary / Middle / High School

Download a lesson plan where students develop five first-person
diary entries exploring the duties and privileges of the
presidency.

http://www.pbs.org/bythepeople

KWBU
"Eat This! The Barbecue Episode"
Station>

Go online to get some of the best Central Texas barbecue
recipes, including Boss Hog's Cole Slaw.

http://kwbu.org/story.php?id=000455

Online NewsHour EXTRA
"The Iraq War -- One Year Later"
PBSOL>
Middle / High School

Check out this online publication from the NewsHour that brings
current events into the classroom with a fresh perspective.
This week EXTRA reflects on the successes and failures of the
Iraq War.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/extra

Frontline/World
PBSOL>
High School

Log on and find out who gets their fair share in the online
feature "Your Coffee Dollar." Plus, learn about Latin American
response to Venezuela's leader -- Hugo Chavez.

http://www.pbs.org/frontlineworld

PBS KIDS ARE READY TO LEARN
Sesame Street Presents:
"The Street We Live On"
TV> PBSOL>
Preschool / Elementary School
Sunday, April 04, 2004
8:00 - 9:00 PM
At the start of "Sesame Street's" 35th season, Elmo learns more
about the street on which he lives. Join the cast of "Sesame
Street" for a nostalgic journey through the show's most magical
moments. (CC, Stereo, DVI)

Help Big Bird find Ernie in the online edition of "Journey to
Ernie."

http://www.pbskids.org/sesame

PBS Parents
PBSOL>
Preschool / Elementary School

Check out the "PBS Parents Guide to Talking With Kids," the
ultimate resource for parents looking for effective
communication strategies to use with their kids. The site
includes advice on how to get kids to talk about what's on
their minds and ways to talk to kids so they will listen.

http://www.pbs.org/parents/issuesadvice/talkingwithkids

Don't Buy It
PBSOL>
Elementary School

Food stylists are like make-up artists. It's their job to make
the food you see in advertisements look great. But when you
find out how they do it, you just might lose your appetite.

http://www.pbskids.org/dontbuyit/

 >From the Start: A Ready to Learn Resource for PreK-2 Educators
"Parent Connections"
PBSOL>
Preschool / Elementary School

Connect school to home with resources for parents on how to
create real life learning experiences in their neighborhood,
plus information on upcoming teleconferences of interest to
parents.

http://www.pbs.org/teachersource/prek2/pconnect/index.shtm

OPPORTUNITIES
National Geographic Society Education Foundation Teacher Grants
Profdev>
Middle / High School

The mission of the National Geographic Society's Education
Foundation is to prepare children to embrace a diverse world,
succeed in a global economy and steward the planet's resources.
Teacher grants are given directly to educators to facilitate
their work in the classroom, school, district and community.
Teacher Grant applications are accepted in the spring from any
current teacher or administrator in an accredited K-12 school
within the United States or Canada. Applications for the
2004-2005 school year or summer 2005 must be received by June
10, 2004.

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/education/teacher_community/get_grant.html

BLYTHE BENNETT'S RECOMMENDED SITE OF THE WEEK
Portion Distortion

Middle / High School

Do you know how food portions have changed over the past twenty
years? This interactive quiz shows photos of specific foods
from 20 years ago and today, such as cheeseburgers, bagels and
soda. Learn about the number of calories in the older version
and guess the number of calories in the modern version. Then
guess how long it will take to burn off those extra calories
given everyday exercise or chores.

http://hin.nhlbi.nih.gov/portion/index.htm

TEACHER CODE KEY

TV--Indicates a PBS Television broadcast with Educational Taping Rights of 1
year or more.
Broadcast times are in Eastern Time (ET).
(CC) Indicates programs with closed captioning
(Stereo) Indicates programs in stereo
(DVS) Indicates programs with descriptive video

Educational Taping Rights Variations:
http://pbs.org/teachersource/copyright/copyright_trights.shtm
(1 year) = Use within One Year from Broadcast
(1 year OB) = Use within One Year from Original Broadcast
(3 years OB) = Use within three years of the original broadcast
(LOT) = Life of Tape--use the program as long as the tape is physically
usable

PBSOL--Indicates a World Wide Web site on PBS Online
WWW--Indicates a World Wide Web Site NOT on PBS Online
Video--Indicates videotape(s) available from PBS
VIDEO at http://shop.pbs.org/education/
Guide--Indicates a teacher guide or lesson guide
Station--Indicates station resource or event
Discussion--Indicates an online discussion forum
Profdev--Indicates a professional development resource
MARC--MARC records are available for this resource --
please see http://www.pbs.org/teachersource/library.htm

SIGN UP TO RECEIVE PBS TEACHER PREVIEWS BY E-MAIL:

To sign up for PBS Teacher Previews, go to your "My Profile" area on
PBS TeacherSource:http://pbs.org/teachersource/preferences/

We hope you enjoy PBS Teacher Previews and PBS Online. Please let us know
what you think by sending e-mail to teachersource@xxxxxxxx As always, thanks
for supporting PBS.

If you like PBS Teacher Previews, you'll love PBS Previews, PBS Online's
original
electronic newsletter highlighting the latest information about new PBS Online
Web
sites and upcoming primetime public television programs.

Sign up to receive PBS Previews, the PBS weekly online newsletter, via e-mail
at
http://www.pbs.org/whatson/previews/subscribe.html

Reproduction of PBS Teacher Previews is permitted with proper credit given to
PBS Online.

Copyright 2004 PBS Online.

<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>
EDUCATIONAL CYBERPLAYGROUND
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com

VENDORS REACH THE EDUCATION MARKET
FREE EDUCATION VENDOR DIRECTORY LISTING
Find PREMIUM & FEATURED MERCHANT LISTING ALSO
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Directory/default.asp

HOT LIST OF SCHOOLS ONLINE
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Schools/default.asp

SERVICES
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/PS/Home_Products.html

Net Happenings,K12 Newsletters, Network Newsletters
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/index.html