PBS> PBS Teacher Previews: April 11-17, 2004

  • From: Gleason Sackmann <gleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: K12Newsletters <k12newsletters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 08 Apr 2004 10:13:26 -0500

K12NewsLetters - From Educational CyberPlayGround
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/

Date: Thu, 8 Apr 2004 10:32:53 -0400 (EDT)
From: teacherpreviews@xxxxxxx
To: gleason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: PBS Teacher Previews: April 11-17, 2004

PBS Teacher Previews: April 11-17, 2004
Welcome to PBS Teacher Previews, the weekly newsletter from PBS designed
specifically for preK-12 educators.

Program times listed are for PRAIRIE PUBLIC TELEVISION.
To change your local PBS station, please visit your "My Profile" area on
PBS Teachersource : http://www.pbs.org/teachersource/preferences/

The resources listed below are grouped into subject areas that correlate
with those found on PBS TeacherSource (http://pbs.org/teachersource/),
PBS's Web site for preK-12 educators. Grade level, resource type and
extended taping rights codes are also indicated for each listing.

To make the most effective use of this publication, please consult the
"Teacher Code Key" at the end of this document.

Note: Please always check with your local PBS station for a complete
schedule of exact dates and times for PBS television programs. PBS television
schedules are created at the local level, so some national programs may not be
available in your area. All PBS programs listed in this newsletter allow for
off-air
  taping and subsequent classroom usage of one year or more. For complete
details, please visit the TV For Teachers section of PBS TeacherSource
at http://pbs.org/teachersource/tvteachers.htm

ARTS AND LITERATURE
Exxonmobil Masterpiece Theatre
"Daniel Deronda" (part two)
TV> PBSOL>
High School
Sunday, April 11, 2004
9:00 - 12:20 AM
Don't miss the conclusion of this mesmerizing adaptation of
George Eliot's last novel. (CC, Stereo, DVI, 1 year)

Log on and find out why some critics compare author George
Eliot to Madonna.

http://www.pbs.org/masterpiece/deronda/index.html

Deford Bailey: A Legend Lost
TV> PBSOL> MARC>
Middle / High School
Monday, April 12, 2004
9:30 - 10:00 PM
Harmonica virtuoso DeFord Bailey was one of the first stars of
the Grand Ole Opry. Yet history knows almost nothing of this
lost legend. This film tells the story of DeFord's career and
early departure from the stage and reveals how black musicians
have influenced many legends of country music. (CC, Stereo, 1
year)

Learn more about the artist and his musical style at the
companion Web site.

http://www.pbs.org/deford/

Small Ball: A Little League Story
TV> PBSOL>
Elementary / Middle / High School
What's it like for a small-town Little League team to survive
the rigorous All-Star season and make it to the legendary
Little League World Series? Join us for this nail-biting road
trip that captures the hope, thrills and excitement of players,
parents and coaches from Aptos, California as they strive to be
one of 8 American teams out of 6,400 who make it to the
championships. (CC, Stereo, 1 year)

Test your baseball skills online; play the "Homerun Derby Game"
and find out how many homeruns you can make.

http://www.pbs.org/smallball/
(Available April 7, 2004)

HEALTH AND FITNESS
NOVA
"Life's Greatest Miracle"
TV> PBSOL>
High School
Tuesday, April 13, 2004
7:00 - 8:40 PM
A remake of Lennart Nilsson's world famous film "Miracle of
Life," this updated edition tells the inside-the-womb story of
human life from conception to birth, using the latest
technological advances in microscopy and medical imaging. (CC,
Stereo, DVI, 1 year)

Download a lesson plan where students identify the effects of
maternal consumption of alcohol at various stages of pregnancy.

http://www.pbs.org/nova/miracle

Innovation
"Miracle Cell"
TV> PBSOL> MARC>
Middle / High School
Wednesday, April 14, 2004
7:00 - 8:40 PM
This episode of "Innovation" looks at regenerative medicine and
follows spinal cord and heart patients undergoing stem cell
treatments -- the tip of the iceberg in a promising but
controversial field. (CC, Stereo, 1 year)

Go online and try your hand at being a scientist working on the
cutting edge of stem cell research. Explore the methods used to
acquire embryonic stem cells.

http://www.pbs.org/innovation/episode6.html

MATH
PBS Mathline
Lesson: "The Busing Problem"
PBSOL>
High School

Use this lesson to teach students how to use substitution and
the elimination method to understand linear systems.

http://www.pbs.org/teachersource/mathline/lessonplans/hsmp/busingproblem/busingp
roblem_procedure.shtm

ZOOM
Activity: "Backpack Challenge"
PBSOL>
Elementary School

In this activity students weigh their backpacks every day for a
week to compare the weights to national averages.

http://www.pbskids.org/zoom/backpack/index.shtml

SCIENCE AND TECHNOLOGY
Nature
"Flight School"
TV> PBSOL> MARC>
Middle / High School
Sunday, April 11, 2004
8:00 - 9:40 PM
This episode tells the astonishing story of how an
experimental, artificial breeding and training program, in
which surrogate human "parents" teach the chicks how to fly and
migrate, is helping to coax North America's endangered whooping
cranes back from the brink of extinction. (CC, Stereo, DVI, 1
year)

Learn more about imprinting and flyaways at the companion Web
site.

http://www.pbs.org/nature/flightschool
(Available April 9, 2004)

Journey to Planet Earth
"Seas of Grass"
TV> PBSOL>
Middle / High School
This three-part series, hosted by actor Matt Damon, explores
the fragile relationship between people and the natural world
they inhabit. This second episode examines the devastating
environmental, political and economic effects of the
degradation of the world's grasslands, which make up 30 percent
of Earth's land surface. (CC, Stereo, 1 year)

Start your own "Journey to Planet Earth Club" and help extend
the impact of the issues raised by the television programs.

http://www.pbs.org/journeytoplanetearth

SOCIAL STUDIES
American Experience
"Emma Goldman"
TV> PBSOL> MARC>
High School
Monday, April 12, 2004
8:00 - 10:10 PM
Don't miss this portrait of Emma Goldman -- the young,
brilliant Russian emigrant, called "the most dangerous woman in
America" and expelled from the United States 34 years after she
arrived. (CC, Stereo, DVI, 1 year)

Get ideas on how to use the film in your history, civics,
economics and geography classrooms at the companion Web site.

http://www.pbs.org/amex/goldman

Into the Arms of Strangers: Stories of the Kindertransport

High School
Academy Award winner Judi Dench narrates the extraordinary
chronicle of an unparalleled British mission to rescue more
than 10,000 children -- most of them Jewish -- from Germany,
Austria and Czechoslovakia prior to World War II. (CC, Stereo,
1 year)

Frontline
"The Man Who Knew"
TV> PBSOL>
High School
Thursday, April 15, 2004
8:00 - 9:40 PM
Join "Frontline" for this extraordinary saga of FBI Special
Agent John O'Neill. As the bureau's top counterterrorism agent,
O'Neill believed that the United States should kill Osama bin
Laden before Al Qaeda launched a devastating attack on America.
Just two weeks before Sept. 11, O'Neill left the bureau for a
job in the private sector -- as head of security at the World
Trade Center, where he was killed on September 11. (CC, Stereo,
1 year)

Explore the companion Web site's interactive map that
highlights what U.S. intelligence knew about Al Qaeda's global
network at particular points in time, beginning with the 1993
World Trade Center attack.

http://www.pbs.org/frontline/shows/knew

NOW With Bill Moyers
TV> PBSOL>
Middle / High School
Friday, April 16, 2004
8:00 - 9:40 PM
Join Bill Moyers and NPR reporters for documentary reporting,
in-depth interviews and articulate commentary. (CC, Stereo, 1
year)

Download the "Foreign War and Domestic Freedom" lesson plan
designed to have your students examine the tension between
external threats and internal liberty in democratic societies.

http://www.pbs.org/now

Great Streets
"Venice's Grand Canal with Nathan Lane"

Middle / High School
The city of Venice has been immortalized by so many, but few
with more wit than Nathan Lane. Gondoliers, art historians,
glassblowers and Venetian citizens show Lane the city they
love. This unique journey goes behind the cliches and discovers
a vibrant city disguised as a living museum. (CC, Stereo, 1
year)

By the People
Lesson: "Dear Presidential Diary"
PBSOL>
Elementary School

In this creative writing exercise, students develop five
first-person diary entries exploring the duties and privileges
of the presidency.

http://www.pbs.org/democracy/kids/educators/presdiary.html

Online NewsHour EXTRA
"UPDATE"
PBSOL>
Middle / High School

Check out this online publication from the NewsHour that brings
current events into the classroom with a fresh perspective.
This week EXTRA explores update

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/extra

PBS KIDS ARE READY TO LEARN
 >From the Start: A Ready to Learn Resource for PreK-2 Educators
"Parent Connections"
PBSOL>
Preschool / Elementary School

Connect school to home with resources for parents on talking to
their kids, plus information on upcoming PBS programming of
interest to parents.

http://www.pbs.org/teachersource/prek2/pconnect/index.shtm

OPPORTUNITIES
Robert H. Michel Civic Education Grants
Profdev>
Middle / High School

The Robert H. Michel Civic Education Grants help teachers
improve the quality of civics instruction, with priority on the
role of Congress in our federal government. Areas of interest
include designing lesson plans, creating student activities and
applying instructional technology in the classroom. Proposal
deadline: May 1, 2004.

http://www.dirksencenter.org/grantmichelciviced.htm

BLYTHE BENNETT'S RECOMMENDED SITE OF THE WEEK
Fed101

High School

This site introduces the Federal Reserve's purpose, history,
structure and functions. Activities include following how a
check clears through the banking system and a simulation of how
monetary policy decisions affect the economy. There is a
teacher guide with printable quizzes and lesson plans.

http://www.kc.frb.org/fed101/

TEACHER CODE KEY

TV--Indicates a PBS Television broadcast with Educational Taping Rights of 1
year or more.
Broadcast times are in Eastern Time (ET).
(CC) Indicates programs with closed captioning
(Stereo) Indicates programs in stereo
(DVS) Indicates programs with descriptive video

Educational Taping Rights Variations:
http://pbs.org/teachersource/copyright/copyright_trights.shtm
(1 year) = Use within One Year from Broadcast
(1 year OB) = Use within One Year from Original Broadcast
(3 years OB) = Use within three years of the original broadcast
(LOT) = Life of Tape--use the program as long as the tape is physically usable

PBSOL--Indicates a World Wide Web site on PBS Online
WWW--Indicates a World Wide Web Site NOT on PBS Online
Video--Indicates videotape(s) available from PBS
VIDEO at http://shop.pbs.org/education/
Guide--Indicates a teacher guide or lesson guide
Station--Indicates station resource or event
Discussion--Indicates an online discussion forum
Profdev--Indicates a professional development resource
MARC--MARC records are available for this resource --
please see http://www.pbs.org/teachersource/library.htm

SIGN UP TO RECEIVE PBS TEACHER PREVIEWS BY E-MAIL:

To sign up for PBS Teacher Previews, go to your "My Profile" area on
PBS TeacherSource:http://pbs.org/teachersource/preferences/

We hope you enjoy PBS Teacher Previews and PBS Online. Please let us know
what you think by sending e-mail to teachersource@xxxxxxxx As always, thanks
for supporting PBS.

If you like PBS Teacher Previews, you'll love PBS Previews, PBS Online's
original  electronic newsletter highlighting the latest information about new
PBS Online
Web sites and upcoming primetime public television programs.

Sign up to receive PBS Previews, the PBS weekly online newsletter, via e-mail
at http://www.pbs.org/whatson/previews/subscribe.html

Reproduction of PBS Teacher Previews is permitted with proper credit given to
PBS Online.

Copyright 2004 PBS Online.

<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>
EDUCATIONAL CYBERPLAYGROUND
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com

VENDORS REACH THE EDUCATION MARKET
FREE EDUCATION VENDOR DIRECTORY LISTING
Find PREMIUM & FEATURED MERCHANT LISTING ALSO
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Directory/default.asp

HOT LIST OF SCHOOLS ONLINE
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Schools/default.asp

SERVICES
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/PS/Home_Products.html

Net Happenings,K12 Newsletters, Network Newsletters
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/index.html