Annenberg/CPB Update February 2005

  • From: Educational CyberPlayGround <admin@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: K12NewsLetters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 01 Feb 2005 11:41:03 -0500

All Mailing Lists
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/index.html

Mon, 31 Jan 2005 23:44:50 -0500
Annenberg/CPB Update February 2005
Advance excellent teaching with Annenberg/CPB.

*** In the Spotlight for February ***

TAKE OUR WEB SURVEY

For those of you who didn't have a chance to respond to our online survey,
there's still time. You can help us make your experience at Learner.org
richer by answering a few questions here
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/february/survey1.html>.

Thank you!

***BRAND NEW SERIES: TEACHING FOREIGN LANGUAGES K-12 WORKSHOP***

Our "Teaching Foreign Languages K-12" workshop is now available at
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/february/tflworkshop2.html>. Watch the
series premiere February 4 at 11am, 3pm, or 7pm Eastern, or view programs
anytime through Video on Demand.

DIALECT SPEAKERS AND LINGUISTICS
Find Resources for African American Black Vernacular,
Creole, Patois, A pidgin is a new language which develops
in situations where speakers of different languages need to
communicate but don't share a common language.
<http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Linguistics/Home_Linguistics.html>
***REVIEWED: REDISCOVERING BIOLOGY***

Our newest biology series for high school teachers, "Rediscovering Biology:
Molecular to Global Perspectives"
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/february/biology3.html>, has been reviewed
in the January issue of American Biology Teacher, the journal of the
National Association of Biology Teachers <http://www.nabt.org>.

The review said the series is "very informative and deals with current
trends in the field of biology" and focused on two programs from the video
series, Session 3, "Evolution and Phylogenetics," and Session 9, "Human
Evolution." Visit the Rediscovering Biology Web site
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/february/biologyweb4.html> for details
about the series.

***THIS MONTH ON THE CHANNEL***

Don't miss the following series beginning this month on the Channel. Consult
the full broadcast schedule
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/february/schedule5.html> for many other
excellent programs airing this month.

EDUCATION ISSUES
  "Looking At Learning...Again, Part 2" (K-12 teachers, administrators)
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/february/looklearnii6.html>
  "New American Schools: Getting Better by Design" (K-12 teachers,
administrators, policymakers)
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/february/newschools7.html>

LANGUAGE ARTS
  "Engaging With Literature: A Video Library, Grades 3-5"
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/february/engaginglib8.html>

LITERACY FROM HOME LANGUAGE TO THE STANDARD
Why don't people vote? 50% of all Americans over 65 years old
are functionally illiterate. 60% of the Urban School Children do
not graduate High School of the 40% that do they are only
reading at 4th grade level. Find out more about literacy and
approaches to improving it. Learn how to successfully bridge
from  the Dialect Speakers' home language to the Standard.
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Literacy/default.asp

MATHEMATICS
  "Learning Math: Number and Operations" (K-8 teachers)
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/february/learnmathno9.html>
  "The Missing Link: Essential Concepts for Middle School Math Teachers"
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/february/missinglink10.html>

SCIENCE
  "Physics by Inquiry" (K-12 teachers)
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/february/physinquiry11.html> (single=
 program)
  "Private Universe Project in Science" (grade 1-12 educators)
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/february/pupscience12.html>
  "Unseen Life on Earth: An Introduction to Microbiology" (college/high
school) <http://www.learner.org/redirect/february/unseen13.html>

SOCIAL STUDIES
  "Bridging World History" (high school/college)
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/february/bridging14.html>
  "The Economics Classroom: A Workshop for Grade 9-12 Teachers"
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/february/econclass15.html>
  "Making Civics Real: A Workshop for Teachers" (high school)
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/february/civics16.html>

FOREIGN LANGUAGE
  "Connect With English" (college/high school)
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/february/connecteng17.html> (Note: Lesson
50 airs February 25)
  NEW! "Teaching Foreign Languages K-12 Workshop"
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/february/tflworkshop18.html>

LITERACY - WHY IS ENGLISH SO HARD TO LEARN?
Integrate literacy (Language Arts), the arts (music) and
technology into the classroom using Interdisciplinary,
thematic, collaborative Online Curriculum, Readability Tools
Resources about American Dialects.
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Literacy/dialect.asp

 From the Channel schedule page, see more information on a series by=
 clicking
on "Overview."

***BLACK HISTORY/AMERICAN HISTORY MONTH***

February is not only Black History Month, but American History Month too!

  For a survey of American history, see "A Biography of America"
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/february/bioamerica19.html>.

  Our Web site for "A Biography of America"
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/february/bioamericaweb20.html> offers
interactive experiences, maps, transcripts, and more. See a flash
presentation about slave culture at
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/february/bioamer9web21.html>, or compare
the visions of Booker T. Washington and W.E.B. DuBois at
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/february/bioamer19web22.html>.

  "Primary Sources: Workshops in American History"
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/february/primary23.html> shows how to use
primary source documents to develop a deeper understanding of history. Find
activities, documents, ideas for classroom applications, and more at the
coordinated Web site
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/february/primaryweb24.html>.

  "Tools of Exploitation," Program 4 of our series "The Africans"
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/february/africans25.html>, traces the
development of the slave trade from an African perspective.

Literary Connections

  Explore history through the eyes of American writers with "American
Passages: A Literary Survey"
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/february/amerpass26.html> and our Web site
for the series
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/february/amerpassweb27.html>. See Unit 7
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/february/amerpass7web28.html> for sample
projects related to African American history. Search the site for many
African American authors including James Baldwin, Charles Chestnutt,
Frederick Douglass, W.E.B. Dubois, Ralph Ellison, Langston Hughes, Nora
Zeale Hurston, Harriet Jacobs, Toni Morrison, Alice Walker, Richard Wright,
and other less known authors.

WHY EBONICS IS A LANGUAGE
Stigmatized and Standardized Varieties in the Classroom:
Interference or Separation? What is among the most serious social
problems that our country faces? The failure of inner-city schools
to teach children to read.
<http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Linguistics/Home_Linguistics.html>

  "Artifacts & Fiction: Workshop in American Literature"
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/february/artifacts29.html> is our workshop
to complement "American Passages." At the Artifacts & Fiction Web site
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/february/artifactsweb30.html> go to
Workshop 3, "Social History," for material suitable for Black History Month
- such as tips for discussing the writings of Frederick Douglass.

  Observe a middle school teacher connecting literature with civil rights
history in "Building Community," Program 6 of the "Engaging with Literature"
library. The coordinated Web site
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/february/engagingweb31.html> offers a link
to Video on Demand as well as lesson building activities.

  The "Making Meaning in Literature" Web site, Session 6
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/february/makmeaningweb32.html>,
demonstrates the teaching of historical fiction using the novel "The Watsons
Go to Birmingham =97 1963" by Christopher Paul Curtis.

  Watch experienced teachers teach the writings of James Baldwin, Ishmael
Reed, and other authors - and find sample lesson plans - on our Web site for
"The Expanding Canon: Teaching Multicultural Literature in High School"
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/february/multilitweb33.html>.

***2005 WORLD YEAR OF PHYSICS***

The U.S. Congress has endorsed the declaration of 2005 as "World Year of
Physics.=94 Programs and activities are planned around the globe to promote=
 an
understanding of physics and highlight its importance in everyday life.
Annenberg/CPB has a number of resources to help spark an interest in the
science and take viewers deeper into its principles.

  Review basic concepts with our new series, "Essential Science for
Teachers: Physical Science"
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/february/physicalsci34.html>. See the
broadcast schedule here
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/february/physicalsched35.html> for
physics-related programs airing this month.

 >Visit our interactive Virtual Lab
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/february/virtuallab36.html> and more at our
Physical Science Web site.

  For a history and overview of physics from Copernicus to quantum
mechanics, watch "The Mechanical Universe...and Beyond"
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/february/mechanical37.html>, our
college/high school level physics series. View programs this month on the
Channel beginning February 16 at 10am Eastern.

  Join teachers on a National Science Foundation physics institute with
"Physics by Inquiry"
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/february/physinquiry38.html>, airing
February 5, 12pm Eastern.

  Find new teaching approaches for the topic of light and optics in Program
6 of "Teaching High School Science"
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/february/highschoolsci39.html>.

***MORE SPECIAL DAYS***

Presidents' Day (February 21)

  Find documents and images related to Abraham Lincoln, George Washington,
and other U.S. presidents in the "American Passages" archive
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/february/archive40.html>.

  Look to our series "A Biography of America"
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/february/bioamerica41.html> Programs 4 and
5 for content on the Founding Fathers, and Programs 10 and 11 for the era of
Abraham Lincoln.

The Academy Awards (February 27)

  Our series "American Cinema"
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/february/cinema42.html> goes behind the
glitz of Hollywood to probe the history of American filmmaking, various film
genres, and other aspects of the movie industry.

***BEWARE OF ONLINE AUCTIONS***

Before you purchase an Annenberg/CPB program or video series through an
online auction, please read our cautionary statement at
<http://www.learner.org/redirect/february/auction43.html>.

<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>~~~~~<>
EDUCATIONAL CYBERPLAYGROUND
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com

Net Happenings, K12 Newsletters, Network Newsletters
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Community/index.html

FREE EDUCATION VENDOR DIRECTORY LISTING
http://www.edu-cyberpg.com/Directory/default.asp

HOT LIST OF SCHOOLS ONLINE