[JA] Why I am temted to cancel Juno Platinum

  • From: "Christopher B. Bailly" <krisbail1@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: Juno Feedback <feedback@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>,Juno a c c Mail List <juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 10 May 2004 14:44:55 -0600

        First of all, the Juno 7 proprietary dialer will not allow my mail
client
to break the connection after sending and receiving mail without sending an
error message.  I must disconnect with the dialer, not with the mail
client, currently the most recent Eudora 6.1.

Secondly, Outlook Express began having trouble sending mail, had no
difficulty receiving it.  Learning Eudora has solved that problem for me.

Thirdly, I sympathize with those free users who would prefer to use less
time with their mail clients sending and receiving mail than they would
have to spend of their limited time allotment to write it while online.

Fourthly, I've found another $9.95 monthly dial-up ISP, advertised on a
radio show about computers and the Internet, which offers a small price
break, equal to about one month per year, for those who enlist or subscribe
on their annual payment plan.  Their Terms of Service indicates that they
offer a service for accelerated connections for a slightly higher charge,
and tech support by phone without paying for the 900 area code call, as I
understand it.  I believe this low cost ISP can give their members more for
either the same $9.95 monthly or slightly less annual subscription charge
because they are not burdened with limited free subscription accounts.

Fifthly:  The Juno technical support documentation, available from either
the Help link on the My Juno main page or from <help.juno.com>, appears to
me to be for the Juno 5.0.33 software, not for the latest Juno 6 or 7
software, and how to configure various mail clients and browsers to work
with these new versions.  The less likely or expected place, where I found
instructions for setting up a Eudora account manually to work with Juno,
was on the My Account page, not anywhere on the Support or Help pages.

Sixthly and finally, this other ISP requires no proprietary dialer,
recommends dial-up networking, and gives instructions on how the user may
connect and surf or check mail in one step instead of having to dial into
Juno first, then run the mail client of the user's choice after the Juno
home page is completed, then check the mail with the client program, then
log off with the dialer, press tab four times and space to end the session.

I wish to end with a note of appreciation to the Juno Tech support helpers
who tried so hard to assist me in getting Outlook Express to send mail
again.  Thanks to their failure, together with mine, which motivated me to
learn the Eudora mail client, which did succeed in sending mail, as well as
in importing or converting all the mail I had stored for Outlook Express.

Christopher B. Bailly