[JA] Re: Update: JCORE.dll and bdb problems

  • From: Larry Cook <lcook@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 13:56:30 -0400

Hi Peggy,

> Btw, am I correct in thinking that mass deletions could give Juno
> indigestion, and that one should delete say 50 messages at a time?

There has never been any conclusive proof on what causes the corruption, but
most people that have had the problem seem to have recently done a lot of
deletions and/or created folders and moved email to those folders.

My advice would be to make a copy of your mailbox.* files before doing any
mass deletions or restructuring of folders.  That way if something goes wrong,
you can restore the mailbox.* files.  And always exit out of Juno before you
make a copy.

I would also make another copy after you make the mass deletions.

If you are really paranoid, I would suggest only running Juno when you use it,
don't keep it running all the time.  This eliminates the chance of any
problems caused by long-term running or the PC crashing or loosing power.  And
the restarts of Juno will find a corruption problem sooner than if you leave
Juno running all the time.  Also, you might want reboot the PC if you tend to
leave it on all the time.  I make these suggestions based on the fact that I
never had the corruption problem even though I had more messages and a larger
mailbox.bdb file than many people who did experience the problem.  But I also
exited Juno when I wasn't using it and I also powered of the PC every night.

> I was thinking of using "export message to text file" for my folders on a
> regular basis, and saving them up in my Juno Tools folder. In case of a new
> disaster, I could use mime2frm and import them into any Juno 4 or 5
> account. Does that make sense?

I guess this would work.  I would certainly test it first before relying on it.

Larry