[JA] Juno vs Internet mail

  • From: Julian B Hilaire <jbh1492@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: juno_accmail@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 13 Oct 2002 11:15:30 EDT

The main protocols previously in use for "Internet mail," way, way back
when I still had 'net access were SMTP, IMAP, and POP.  When I hear
someone say "real email" or "internet mail" I think of a MUA which can
handle all three.  Most "real" mail user interfaces (MUA's) send using
SMTP, receive using POP, and can handle IMAP.

But then again I'm not involved in the extended conversation...

I hope this reached exactly the right people and list, I did a reply all
and added myself.

On Sat, 12 Oct 2002 16:53:40 -0400
 James E Henderson <jim.henderson@xxxxxxxx> writes:

> This message, being full of Juno technical details which I hope will
> be checked by people who more about them than I do, is also going to
> the Juno_accmail Project's mailing list.

> So, the question of whether I am "sending Internet mail at all" is a
> complicated one.  It depends on definitions that are not clear to
> me, and perhaps it also depends on whether I'm browsing the Web at
> the same time I'm getting or sending my mail.

Usually "real" email can be sent right when you press the send button.
Without dialing, without this, without that, using a live connection to
the 'net.  As far as I can tell.  Hope this helps.  Your mailage may
vary.

(Sorry about that.  No really, I couldn't resist.  Mileage versus
mailage.  What, you don't think it's funny?!?  Well, duh, why do you
think I apologized? :-)